Struggling to spend 13k with three dealers

Is anyone else running into this? I've been trying to buy a used pair of Wilson from a couple of dealers in the NY area and from one in the Chicago area- each has a pair I've been interested in yet all are super slow to respond to emails, quote a final number, give a clear number on a trade I have etc. Each have their own wrinkle, high shipping charges, high pick up charges, avoiding doing a set up etc. Super frustrating - I've literally bought a car faster than trying to buy a pair of used speakers. I've thrown in the towel after a month of endless emails and conversations. Weird. I used to run a retail audio chain. We chased every deal, quickly determined if we could do it and made it work- or nicely declined the deal. Is business so good that there's no interest in selling 13k speakers that they're holding in inventory? 

128x128cowan217

Why would a dealer react the way that you say...

A few thoughts come to mind, they are so busy that they couldn't care about their business and particularly new customers like you who they have never dealt with before. The dealer is so flush with cash, that a $13K sale is peanuts to them, as their typical buyer is spending millions of dollars every year...or maybe they are doing the business as a hobby, and the same thing applies with their customer base. Lastly, you are asking for a trade in, which means they have to write an ad and try and sell your traded in gear, that takes some effort. 

I think these guys are doing you a favor with their responses ( or lack thereof)...they are telling you to take your business elsewhere and give it to a much more deserving person. They are also demonstrating to you what their after sale service would like IF you made the mistake of buying from them in the first place. 

@cowan217 which Klipsch would you be trading?  I'm near CHI and the dealer here I'm guessing you are working with might be able to make this work.  I'm intrigued by the heritage lines.  

@ghasley "Buy the new speakers, sell yours on your own."

Exactly. The dealers are in business to make a profit. That’s how they exist. And, you have to ask yourself what’s in it for them, too. Driving out, sending out two people, doing a Pick-up, returning to the office, unloading, unboxing speakers, checking, testing, any reconditioning, advertising, haggling with tons of new questions on trade-ins dealing with new non-buyer customers, dealing with return policies, all takes valuable time. It’s gotta be worth it for them too. Pre-purchase free advice is not free, actually $100-200/hr+ or more. Time is money. We are lucky to have any audio storefront dealers in business any more. Or, go sell it to TMR Audio, they might buy your stuff. Good Luck.

@decooney well said. In short, it makes no sense to complain about $$ when you are trading something in.