Think ill just go with a lumin

Starting out anew. reading all of the post into the wee evening hours, and getting more and more confused, I think I may just get a Lumin DAC/streamer combo. D2 or T2 i suppose, maybe an S1 if i can find one a little cheaper and I scrimp and save a little more.

My situation is rebuilding from scratch, so waiting for pieces to come together. Going with a Mac MA 352, and a pair of devore o96 speakers. Smallish room, just plan on streaming and putting a turntable onto the system, but nothing else. Figure i will just subscribe to tidal or Qbouz for the convenience, although anything appl conected is a plus. Will have a hard wire connection and decent wifi. I suppose i am most worried about how technology may change, and whether I should go R2R, but that rabbit hole started to make my head hurt.

If anyone has some opinions, either it wont work or seems like a solid approach, views are much appreciated.

skiforbagels

You go now highpeakrider 

$400 iFI Zen more musical than a Lumin D2. 

Easy to believe

yes sure it is

we have the ifi dsd pro and the lumins sound better

I use my T2 with an integrated amp. The T2 does give you the ability to run direct into an amplifier. The dac in the unit is very good. LUMIN website instructions on the device set up are clear and very easy to use. I have my LUMIN volume control set to 100% so I can use the remote volume control for my integrated

I feel your pain weeding through all this, but I don’t think doing the combo thing is a good idea longer term as both streamer and DAC technologies evolve at the pace they are.  I’d suggest going with a good streamer like the Pro-Ject Streambox S2 Ultra and a nice DAC such as the Musician Pegasus R2R DAC (just as one option) and I think you’ll be very happy for $2k all in with no more headaches necessary.  I own the Pegasus and consider it to be an upgrade from the more common delta-sigma DACs in terms of flow and musicality with no lack of detail or dynamics.  Here’s a review I think is pretty spot on FYI.

https://soundnews.net/sources/dacs/musician-audio-pegasus-r2r-dac-review/

Hope this helps, and best of luck. 

You need to list what you need the streamer to deliver and work forwards.

Tidal
Tidal Connect
Qobuz
Spotify Connect
Roon
Local Files

Find a streamer that delivers what you need, lots are only going to give you what the API allows.