More expensive = better?

Because I have never owned any very high end gear I’m wondering if an $8000 integrated amp will sound jaw dropping better than a $5000 one? Right now my system is Parasound JC2 and SMC Audio DNA1 Gold. 

Thanks in advance,

Ben

honashagen

There are plenty of vintage amps available for less than $1K that sound as good as any of today's over-priced gear! I paid around $900 for a Perreaux 2150B - 340/680/920wpc @8/4/2 ohms. Sounds as good as any four/five figure amp!

@jasonbourne52 

Just when I think you couldn't say anything more silly, you go and prove me wrong...

Firstly, we would have to assume you have heard every four/five figure amp available. You haven't. I'd feel safe in saying you have not heard even one.

Now that we've dismissed your trite comments.

Better is so subjective that the question becomes moot. A 20K dollar amp may only sound slightly better than a 2K one, but it's up to the end user to determine if that amount of improvement is worth the 10 fold price increase. Some people pay big bucks for that last 1% of performance. And who are we to say they are wrong? 

On a smaller scale I have paid a lot for what some would consider a minor difference over what the thing replaced. But to me it was enough of a difference to warrant the cash outlay. To each his own.

Oz

@oddiofyl - Quicksilver gear is excellent; I had the tube headphone amp, and for under $1000 that thing is a steal. I've since sold it and moved up to Eddie Current and Auris Nirvana, but the Quicksilver served me very well for many a month....

Yes QS is quite good, you have to spend a good amount more to better it.   

i agree with Ozzy regarding whether something is worth the cash....  it is if you love it and use it often.   My CJ preamp was good , Zesto?   Incredible, worth every cent. 

Each of us can only relate our own experience and rarely have I been bowled over and gobsmacked by a single well-executed amp or preamp but it DID happen (literally blown away) when I acquired an Audio Research GS-150 about a year ago.  Years ago I had an ARC D115-II for quite a while -- another great amp -- but nothing like the GS-150.  I haven't done alot of experimenting but I think from a value proposition a used Ref75 with the huge new powertubes ARC is using might be a good option.  Of course everything else has to be up to the challenge with regard to what can be resolved.  There are absolutely phenomenal values out there to be had as well such as the Magnepan LRS.   Crossed over to a good sub it makes for a small investment speaker-wise which might allow for more $ invested in your electronics.  And of course GOOD used equipment is often a great option no matter what.

What's your definition of "jaw dropping"?

Let's be honest - humans are emotional beings.

In general items cost more only if folks are willing to pay the higher price.

Are there $5k integrated amplifies that sound better than an $8k integrated amplifier - it's definitely in the realm of possibility.

If you look at established high quality brands - within their product lines there will be a difference in the integrated amps at various price points.  McIntosh has integrated amps at $5k and $8k and there's differences...I don't know if they are earth shattering.

If you look at other brands - say NAD or Rogue and you'll experience a difference in sound as you go up the model range.  And you'll notice a difference between the brands at the same price point.

When comparing a SS versus Tube and Class AB versus Class D you may hear a drastic presentation.  And that can be very personal.

And there's going to be someone that states - you can great quality system for less than $1k all in...and you can.

In the end, I try to enjoy my system as is.  Why?  Because the goal for me is to enjoy listening to music.