hearing loss and speaker selection

So being 75 I've got hearing that ranges between 80hz and 9,000hz. So should I give a rat's patoot about a speaker's ability to reproduce frequencies below and above this range since I can't hear them? Obviously, I'm gonna shoot for those that handle the mids the best. Now I know the proof is in the pudding so that why we listen to speakers and pick the ones that we like best. But for the sake of discussion has there been any double-blind test or any test for that matter that supports the notion that unheard sound affects the sound you can hear through your speakers. Or should speaker manufacturers make a senior version of their speaker for us elderly folks. he says tongue in cheek.

I understand hearing aids can restore some additional high frequencies, but I wonder if they can be tailored to replicate a tube sound over SS equipment or vis versa. Headphones aside is there some other specialized device(s) a hearing impaired person can use beyond a hearing aid that can maximize or enhance the listening pleasure? I know there are many prior posts on hearing loss but I could find none that addressed increasing the listener's frequency range or for that matter clarity. Some older posts did address clarity say go for speakers with the best clarity.

Have fun you can't take it with you.

scott22

There is something related to age, don't know the reason why yet, but a lot of stuff that younger ears take as detail we find increasingly annoying, fatiguing, sometimes even painful. Fortunately the same things that improve sound quality also improve this annoying aspect of aging. A lot of the things I have done the last year or so both improved my system and did so in a way that made it a lot easier to enjoy. For the most part this was eliminating ringing and resonance with things like springs and Townshend wire, and also better quality parts like caps and resistors in crossovers. These all improve detail not by "making" more detail but by eliminating a lot of extra noise. Kind of like the way it is easy to hear someone talking across the dinner table at home, but not across the dinner table in a noisy restaurant. Their voice is just as clear in both cases but you have to work a lot harder in one to separate their voice from all the rest.

This greatly reduces the strain you feel listening to music. I find myself able to relax more into it. Also find a much wider volume range enjoyable. Bottom line you can still get a lot out of it. I sure hope so. 75 is only 11 years away for me!

to the OP. You didn’t get completely accurate advice. Not all hearing tests are sine waves. You might consider one of the six or so helpful SIN ( speech in noise ) tests available. There are several high end audio companies that devote time, resources and money towards hearing loss prevention. My mentor runs one of them. Your Snells were a classic. Enjoy the music. BTW i ran a pretty noisy airplane factory, i know the standards, how they were established and most importantly the havoc wrought on those who didn’t take the personal protective equipment seriously- somehow i got by with a lot of live rock as a kid. my best to you !

Jim

MC good for you, 86 articulate, intelligent, opinionated, helping others, and busting chop all the while still pursuing your bliss!

Tomic Thank you for your concern I took a couple of those SIN online and my hearing was fine for my age if not a touch better. Those Snell were fantastic. Outside of music my ears were not exposed to high dB. That is except for the two days I lasted on an assembly line making Mustangs during my college summer break. At the time I was waiting for the lottery to see who gets to go to Vietnam. Let me just say Fredric Taylor's  Schmidt the pig ironworker is alive and well on the auto assembly line. It was a fascinating two days for a kid at the time studying factory organization and management!  Jim congratulations on an impressive career in an ultra stressful job talk about responsibility! Deming's philosophy looms large as each of your products must be perfect as lives depended on it. 

64😎. Enjoy what you have for as long as you can. I use a parametric EQ for me and switch it out when I have visitors. Best wishes.

I've worn hearing aids for about 15 years;  they cannot restore frequencies that have been lost. Lost is lost. What they can do is effectively EQ a curve to give the impression of better high frequencies in relation to the others. You can work with an audiologist to get a sound from them that you like (or several, as they offer multiple programs), so perhaps you could come up with something that would sound more SS or tube for music. But really, if you don't have hearing aids yet, I would recommend that you visit an audiologist - you might be amazed at how they improve not just music listening, but quality of life.