a remarkably basic question about Roon

I'm considering trying out Roon and, despite hours spent on their too-busy website, I'm still not entirely sure what it would do for me. (Trying to get through their "support" section is an exercise in misery all around.) 

Here's my clueless question. I currently stream music through a Bryston BDP. I use the Bryston software, "Manic Moose," on my laptop or phone to create playlists, move between digital sources (flash drive, Qobuz, radio), and as a remote control for volume, song choice, etc. The Bryston software isn't at all elegant but it's functional.

So, if I get Roon, would I be doing the same thing from the Roon app on my laptop or phone? Would I be completely bypassing "Manic Moose"? and doing everything on the Roon app, including such things as volume and song selection? I understand that Roon is an effective organizer of music from multiple sources; is it also a "media player?? (I have a traditional two-channel set-up and don't do multiple rooms.) The Manic Moose software is clunky enough that I'd consider swapping it out for Roon, if that's in fact what I would be doing. 

Thanks! 

northman

If you look on the lower left corner of the MM Dashboard you will see a button that says Playback. Its a dropdown and if click it you will see "Roon Ready". Just select that and MM shuts down...

Correction MM does not shutdown.  The MPD shutsdowns  MM lives as Roons endpoint.  Small but important distinction.

Great thread ! How does Roon compare to the BluOS app I am using now for Tidal and Qobuz? Do you still have to pay for Tidal and Qobuz in addition to the Roon subscription? Thanks

@ronboco 

Yeah you still have to pay for services such as Tidal , Qobuz etc.

If I did not have Logitech and Plex Pass already I might be more inclined to pony up for Roon but frankly in my case I am not seeing a lot of added value.