Just installed a bluesound node 2i , quality not so good

Sounds flat vs streaming from marantz 5014 heos, which is more revealing and open.  Both ways are wired.
Is there a break in period?  Otherwise it is disappointing.

I am listening thru b&w spkrs and mcintosh amp. And wired to analogue inputs of avr

thanks for any comments, suggestions

emergingsoul

Another vote for not impressed. There are better products.

Happy Listening!

i personally feel the node 2i/node is a terrific product, you just have to know what it does well and what it does not - it has an outstanding user interface (i still haven’t broken down to go roon yet), and it is a very nice (and exceptionally high value) bitstreamer

knew early on the dac inside was a throwaway, so never bothered to use it, but its spdif digital outputs are very good, and i have found it very useful to have several nodes grouped using the software, and thus delivering multiple identical bitstreams, thus allowing very easy direct a-b-c comparisons of multiple dacs

i tried more expensive streamers from auralic, innuos, aurender, mytek (some had nice dacs onboard, which is part of one pays for, no doubt) and as bitstream sources, try as i might, i could not for hear any sq difference from the node... interestingly, i could actually hear some more (but still subtle) differences across various digital cables than the streamers... 🤷‍♂️

Surprised you find the dac is less good than airplay to an avr. World class it’s not but it’s not horrible IME . A descent outboard would definitely make a different I believe. I can hear it for sure. Also a reclocker on the DAC makes a difference. I use a cheap IFI one and it makes a definite difference to my ear. 

Interesting to hear your take jjss49. I always wonder about the expensive streamer and whether it is worth it. Seems people have vastly different opinions. The Node probably has the best interface and compatible with the most services. I was thinking a Melco but if the SQ is not there paying much more for a less fleshed out interface does nothing make sense. What’s the rest of your setup? 

The new Node is a definite step up from the 2i. The analog outs are adequate for casual listing. Coax out, good DAC, whole different world. For what it is used for in my system, I see no need to upgrade. 

BTW jjss49… try Roon. It’s great! Love the overall info and interface. Mine is specifically used with my NAS. Bluesound OS for most other streaming.

@geof3

i have been told by so many friends/hifi nerd buds that i gotta do roon... it’s funny, we all do silly, illogical things sometimes... i will blow five grand to try a new dac without batting an eye, same to try some hot-sh*t amp, but i just won’t shell out 6 or 7 hundred bucks for a lifetime roon sub out of principle LOL... it is just goofy (maybe i get one of my sons to buy it for me as xmas present 🤣🤣)

@mofojo

you can see my system page at your leisure