VAC and Kevin Hayes are totally unresponsive. What's up with that?

The VAC Rennaissance Signature is the best preamp I've owned, and I've had some really good ones over the years.

Because I like the preamp so much, I tried to contact Kevin Hayes at VAC and inquired about possible factory upgrades to the unit.

I sent the serial number, then he replied and asked for top-off photos, so he could determine which version I owned. I sent photos and then nothing...

Every 2-3 weeks, I sent a polite, follow-up emails and heard nothing. This has been going on since the first week of September...

At this point, even if anyone at VAC ever did reply, I might be reluctant to send   them my preamp for fear that they'd have it for months and months and months or that I'd never hear from them again.

Anyone else have problems with getting in touch with VAC?

Thank.

kolledog

I have the same problems with VAC : via fb. I asked a lot of questions :. I used 6550 tubes in the VAC. phi 300.1 after weeks ,he said : "it's not allowed to use this tubes instead of KT88.  Than I replaced the tubes for KT88: the problem is now solved. Try to go to a tube-amp professional. He helped me a lot. I'm from Belgium , and in Europe there are still a few distributors. Amazing amp.but if you have problems...

@mozartfan I think you'll be ok saying the "c" word. just look at this thread. still hasn't been shut down. https://forum.audiogon.com/discussions/update-from-ron-new-day-record-covid-19-battle

Several months ago, I reached out to VAC and found them to be very responsive. I spoke to Kevin regarding his phono upgrade for my newly acquired Master preamp, and I was still holding onto my Signature MkIIa SE preamp. He was very accommodating and informative as were his staff. Afterwards I exchanged several emails as well, so I guess I’ve been lucky.

I've owned four VAC amps over the last 15 years, all of which were purchased used.  While I no longer own gear, I do recall them being responsive, professional and generous with their time when I had questions or needed service.  On the downside, repairs typically took 5-8 weeks and were often quite costly.

This is not typical for VAC, and in fact I have a friend who’s in regular correspondence with them currently.

1. Email is not the most reliable form of communication. Call them. I sent an email question a couple weeks ago and got no response. No biggie. I figured it out on my own, but if it still mattered I’d call. Though over the past few years, most of my emails have gotten a very friendly and helpful response from Kevin himself within a day or two. 

2. They’ve been hella busy for a few recent weeks from the Capital Audio Fest. Communications won’t be quite as on point at these times.

The Signature is a very nice preamp!