E.A.R. Acute Reliability

I am considering the purchase of a used E.A.R. Acute CD player. However, I am concerned about its reliability. What has the experience been in this regard, particularly with regard to the transport?

I am also considering a Modwright 9100ES, for which Dan Wright assures me that parts are readily available.
airfla
Airfla,

You made a great choice with the Modwright. I own this model from Dan and the sound is outstanding. The Modwright replaced a Audio Aero Capitole 2 and it wasn't even close, Modwright all the way. I have had the Modwright 9100 ES for almost a year and it has performed perfectly. In addition Dan provides outstanding service if needed. You will be very happy.
I have to address someone's previous remark about Robert Levi's Positive feedback review. In raving the Modwright player, he STILL clearly says that the ACUTE sounds better for standard CD playback. Another rave reviewer of the same Modwright on Positive Feedback also says the ACUTE is still better sounding for CDs. In Levi's review of the ACUTE he says the CD layers on SACDs sound better than the SACD layer on his best SACD player! He MIGHT not be including the Modwright, and he doesn't make clear that Modwight SACD playback is superior to ACUTE CD playback in his Modwright review either. It would be nice to have SACD playability, but for me it would mean also having to get a new preamp to accomodate the format, and sacrifice the superior CD sound of the ACUTE for a seemingly (& unfortunately?) dying format.
I admit Sony would likely be more "reliable" than just about any manufacturer, but I've owned other "small label" CD Players that held together just fine. I couldn't find any basis for above comments on "reliability issues", it all seemed speculative. At any rate, I've owned an ACUTE little over 24 hours so I hope those guys aren't right. Rereading the reviews of the Modwright I have no regrets sound-quality wise. I very much like what I hear so far, and my upgrade Ediswan tubes haven't even arrived yet. I am not knocking the Modwright, haven't heard it, sure it's great. Just think some of the above ACUTE knocking is unfounded, and needlessly stirring up reliability worries with owners and prospective buyers.
I think EAR would have a real winner with a DAC based on the Acute. To me the weak point of the Acute is the transport (and cheesy remote) which EAR does not manufacture. IMO: The sound of the Acute is right up there.
Needlessly stirring up reliability concerns? I think not. I hope that you don't experience any problems but reliability is certainly a valid consideration, especially given some of the negative comments about EAR's build quality. Newbee's experience can hardly be described as "speculative".
I've had an EAR 534 for about 5 years now. While other amps have come and gone, that one has stayed. That and my art audio 845. I'm not sure what everyone expects but opening the EAR and looking around is pretty impressive imo. Now, changing the el34s(you have to get rid of the sovteks) is a pain in the ass but other than that, it's a beautiful sounding piece of equipment... and slapping in a pair of telefunken ecc85s. wow.

I've been contemplating buying an acute for a long time now and would do so without hesitation execpt... I'd like to see what all these new DACs have to offer.