How do you enhance a bad listening room's accoustics without breaking the bank? thoughts?

I am looking at a cork wall covering product to help enhance my listening room acoustics. The room is in a condo and shares duty as an "L" shaped living / dinning room. As I have neighbor's on either side I was thinking of doing the one wall where the speakers are placed and the opposite wall where I have my sitting position (The Coach!).  I was thinking the entire sitting room wall (10x8) and the speaker area (10x8) on the opposite wall. This may also have the additional bonus of helping to reduce the noise coming from my stereo into those condo's next to me?
I was wondering what people's experience has been and successful materials used as wall coverings or panels.
128x128pooch2
I have been into photography longer than audio. I have several large canvas prints that work as treatments and also look great I might add. 
I'm a little surprised that no one has recommended DSP as a potential solution for the OP.  There are several very good integrated amps with DSP built-in.  That might help especially with bass management.  In fact, even the low-end SVS subs now come with DSP.  He may not need to mess with physical room treatments to get what he needs.  Just a thought.
Hello pooch2.  Hang rugs on the wall. Check out second hand stores. Space them 1/2 to one inch off the wall by using a strip of wood at the top. If you put pillows or large stuffed animals in the upper corners of the room, you'll be surprised at how effective they are. Of course, your domestic partner gets to approve the shape/color of all treatments.
1. Spend $38.00 for Jim Smith's 1/2 hour phone session
2. Visit Goodwill or ? and look for area rugs suitable for wall use
3. Meet the neighbors and learn their home hours
4. Buy headphones
Chorus,

I like the buy headphones tip. It eliminates the room problem, and presents a totally new experience for music. I don't use them often, but am very happy have them at hand.