Fuses

I’ve read of views on whether amp fuses impart any sound quality or coloring. I had a recent experience that has made me re-think my views (fuses do not affect sound) and wondered if others had a similar experience. 
I have a Line Magnetic integrated amp. After heavy regular use for over 5 years, one day it just wouldn’t power up. After checking the power supply, I assumed it must be a blown fuse. I recalled that Line Magnetic sent with the amp two replacement fuses of the same type/quality that was pre-installed. I dug out one of them from storage, replaced the fuse and the amp powered up normally. 

What surprised and delighted me was the change in sound with the replacement fuse. Fuller bass, more detail and more warmth. I have rolled the tubes several times in the amp, and am attuned to the subtle changes that can make. Popping in a fresh fuse seems to have had a similar affect. And these appear to be cheap fuses, available for a few dollars at most. I don’t think I understand any of this. 
bmcbrad
I am certainly outnumbered but I’m one of the few contributors to this thread thinking scientifically.  If it weren’t for science and engineering, we wouldn’t have this hobby.
I sincerely hope that you all enjoy your fuses and that they enhance your listening experience, which is what is important.
Patronisingly Condescending Pavlovian response from mr pompous
Yawn........ 
Outgunned. Sheesh.   

willgolf, oregonpapa,

The QSA Violet arrived Thursday. Only had time for the usual warm-up while eating dinner followed by four sides, Tracy Chapman and Neil Diamond Serenade.    

The XLO demagnetizing tracks repeat about a dozen times while the Sovereign spins and the Herron idles for a good 30 minutes or so. Even with all that there is a big improvement the first few minutes. I'm talking every night. The first side always sounds a lot better by the end than at the beginning, and things continue to improve until at around 90-120 minutes it is hugely better than in the beginning.    

So when the beginning of Talkin' 'bout a Revolution sounded terrific I knew the Violet fuse was the Real Deal. One of my favorite ways of knowing you're getting real detail and not stuff being added is when you find you can hear the natural acoustic space. Well, I will have to go back and play Fast Car again because all during that one I was struck by being able to hear her voice reverberate and decay all through the whole song. The reason I say go back and hear it again is because as the side went along there seemed to be less of this. Like still excellent, but not so obvious. Probably 50/50 this was one of those phases things go through as they burn in. Some don't care for these kinds of changes as things burn in. I freaking love it. Just wish I could snap my fingers and freeze it sometimes though.  

Probably the biggest most obvious and consistent improvement is in the clarity and dynamics of transients. Not just the attack though, the body and tone of the note are nice and full too. Chapman has a lot of bongo drums, both the skin and the body of the drum are to the point it sounds almost like a musical instrument as much playing a note as percussion. Her voice on my pressing can have a bit of an edge or glare to it at times, this is still there but much less, much more natural sounding now.  

By the time Neil Diamond was done this was all quite a bit better to the point I hated having to work the next day. It will be so nice when I'm retired and can listen as late as I want. This is only an hour or two of current running through it and already I am a very happy camper!  

The QSA Violet has two very small bits of black adhesive tape kind of things stuck on, each a little less than 1mm thick and wide that wrap about 1/3 of the way around the fuse and located about 1/3 of the way in from each end. People who doubt the whole thing might want to stop and think about that. Why two pieces? Why not just one? It is time and money to cut and stick two vs one. Pictures on the Tweakgeek website show what looks like a big piece of this same tape on the most expensive fuse.    

Could it be this is what exerts the force that puts all these thoughts in my head? It must be something like that, I mean we all know a fuse could never affect the sound, and my brain being too lazy to go for the noxious refund would surely be overworked to come up with such a detailed description on its own. Right?    

Kidding. Just, if you want to live rent free, this is how we do it.  

SR Purple supposed to start shipping next week. Guess I will have to get one to compare. This Violet was against Light Blue. Which I liked better than Orange. Also have a Yellow, but it is planned for the Herron. That one is a lot more work to get at the fuse. We will just have to see how it goes I guess.