Setting up a streamer for a frien

Title should read FRIEND. (Couldn’t edit it.)

I have a friend who has upwards of 10,000 CDs and owns an Esoteric CD player and integrated amplifier.
He would like to investigate adding streaming to his system. He doesn’t want to spend a lot however.
I’m recommending the Bluesound Node streamer.
What DAC in the $1000 range would you recommend?
Is there any way he could hook up the streamer to the CD player and take advantage of its DAC?
128x128rvpiano
It’s very unlikely that my friend friend will store any files.  That’s why I recommended the Node.
If it truly is a K-07 then it has optical,coax and usb digital inputs and an AKM DAC. I can only imagine that the AKM implementation is worthy. Drop the $1.5K (implied budget) on the Bryston BD-2 and it should sound purdy dang good given the network infrastructure is up to par. Or as others have suggested do the Node, stash the saved cash and add to it over time and upgrade if the streaming turns into a crack pipe.

I only first dipped my toes into the world of a dedicated streamer within the last few weeks. I have a pretty nice system with a fine DAC- a Bricasti M1. I was looking at DAC-less streamers from Aurender, Auralic, Lumin, as well as other brands. I was looking at gear ranging from $2k - $5, and also listened to units at the $15k, $20K and $30K price points just for curiosity. What did I wind up doing?  Bought a Node, and it's connected to my M1. Sounds pretty darned good. I've heard better, but I am still learning a lot about streamers, and I can think of no better way to get into the world of streaming especially if you already have a good DAC. And BluOS is fine- nothing drastic but it works fine for me. 
Which streamer you buy should be determined by the performance level of the rest of your components. I bought the flagship Aurender and it was clearly improved the performance level of my system where a lessor one would not have. But if all other components are at a certain level it is as important or more so than the rest… it is somewhat like a turntable in the analog end. You can’t eliminate noise or increase the sound quality after the streamer… it’s downhill from there.
If the budget is over 1K I’d get the Cambridge because it adds Chromecast and AirPlay, and it has a better DAC than my older Node2.  The present Node2 has a better DAC and may even use the same Chip as the Cambridge, but the CA is a larger component and probably has a better power supply and overall implementation.
However, it’s nice to be able to just stream from the phone or tablet in something better sounding than Bluetooth.