Herron VTPH-2A vs Rogers PA-2 Phono Preamplifier

I know there are plenty of Herron VTPH-2A fans on this forum, and I also know that Herron has discontinued this model. Rogers reportedly benefits from tube rolling while the Herron is problematic to roll for better sound.

Sonically, how does the Herron compare to the Rogers?  
kennyc
the Herron is problematic to roll for better sound.
That’s an odd way of putting it. The Herron comes with such high quality tubes it is hard to find better
Agreed. “Problematic” not the best choice of words as it might suggest a negative.

There is a Rogers unit for half the MSRP on USaudiomart.
It is the PA-1A model while the latest is the PA-2 model. Couldn’t find the model differences online so I reached out to Roger via email- still awaiting reply

The reason for this post is not necessarily to distinguish the best sonics between Herron and Rogers, rather, it’s to find out if I like a quality “tube” phono stage. VDH Grail SE is my current “current type” phono stage.
Perhaps Rogers may be a better choice because it’s easier to tube roll?
@kennyc

If your main goal is to find a phono stage that’s easier to tube roll you may want look at the Tavish Design products.  Herron would be the last phono I'd buy with the intention of rolling tubes.
I have the Herron and cannot see anything the least bit hard about tube rolling. Unplug it, take the top off, pull tubes out, put tubes in. If that is too hard then leave the cover off. Once you get in there by the way there’s about a bazillion things you can do for at least as much improvement as tube rolling. Like someone said good thing transistors are soldered or we’d be dealing with questions about transistor rolling. Diodes? Anyone??
I think my thinking is in line with MC's here.  There is no piece of audio gear that could not be picked apart by a hobbyist competent to read a schematic and understand the circuit.  Even those FETs could be substituted by a knowledgable engineer who can solder.  The diodes might be upgraded if they are not already Schottky types.  You could "upgrade" the resistors using nude Vishays, at $12 a pop.  Capacitors are always a target of the cognoscenti.  And yadayada. I've been down all of those roads myself, but I finally concluded that sometimes it's better to leave well enough alone.