Original Von Schweikert VR4s

Hi all,

I have a pair of the original VR4s. They still sound great, but our cats have clawed up the grill cloth and the tops need to be refinished. Do these have any value? My wife wants smaller speakers and after 25 years I wouldn't mind something else myself. Any ideas on how much and how to sell them? I think they are too big to ship...

Howard
howardlander
They are probably not worth shipping in that condition since you will need 4 boxes. You can always remove the grill cloth and spray the MDF flat black.  Do the same with the end caps. They won't be pretty but might look better than they do now. At that point I would say they are worth about 500-600 dollars. I've seen pristine pairs go for around 1200-1400. Post an ad on CL or Fakebook Market Place (if that's your thing).

Good luck with your sale. I owned a pair of the VR4 Silvers for several years and I'd say sonically these speakers are still contenders today.

Oz

Hi @tvad and @ozzy62 

I looked at HiFiShark.  That was a good suggestion.  I saw one pair the same as mine that went for $1200, so @ozzy62 was right on the mark. I was also thinking about replacing the grill cloth, but I'm not sure that's going to help anything.  Luckily I have some time to think about it. Thanks for the input.

Howard
I had a pair of VR3’s that I replaced the grill cloth (Sock) on. It was easy and cheap if you have access to and can use a sewing machine. Else find someone who can sew the seam for you.