GR-Research Line Force First Transparent Speakers?

These speakers will be coming on the market soon and I can’t wait to hear them!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XgoR2PLEZsk
highend666
@bdp24 +1.  I have speakers with GR's Neo3 and they sound fabulous. I'm sure Danny will eventually have a Neo10 replacement as well, but he's not going to put it into production until he's completely satisfied that is as good or better than the original. 

Just heard that Parts Express maybe lowering the cost of the Neo 10's soon, which would be nice as Danny's having a tough time getting the results he's looking for on his. I've heard the original (aluminum) line Force speakers ~ 5 years ago, as well as the new composite version 3-4 months ago at Danny's,(my partner Jay and I make them with/for Danny)  they are an amazing speaker for sure, the newer version did have a significantly upgraded x-over as well. I would say that they are very immediate and real as far as a signature goes and if you have the dough, a keeper!! they do need subs so you will need some space for them to really sing.

Don

I didn't know speaker performance is dependent upon the interview surroundings and attire. I suspect we have some defensiveness/arrogance in play. That is how some people judge speakers, by their arrogant opinion, watching videos, or taking the pulse of the community, versus actual listening. The scary part is that others listen to them! 

OH, NO! DID YOU HEAR WHAT THEY SAID? 
"We prefer the chip amp to the 300B!" Danny, too! 

OH, NO! THIS IS A DISASTER! LOL 

My, oh, my, can it be that class D is in process of steamrolling tube amps? Heheheheh.... 

As for the speaker, it's a magnetic planar smallish version of what was done a decade ago with the King Sound ESL line. I have the King III, which I called in the review the Line Source ESL (LSESL). Could it be better holistically than the much hyped Tekton? Of course. But, only direct comparison would tell, and it's a waste to time to listen to anyone who would pretend to know apart from direct comparison. I see it needs subs to reach down in terms of LF. 

Everyone wants their speaker (genre) to be the ultimate. It brings out the best and worst in the community, as so much pride is associated with it. We get some really stupid comments about mid-level speakers, and sometimes even budget speakers being all that. Foolish statements made by people with very little understanding of the spectrum of performance of speakers all inclusive. 

Have these guys not heard that many great/big speaker systems? Seriously, a new reference for what they thought HiFi is? Have they not been to shows? Have they not heard such as the King III, or the big names in towers? If a person has familiarity with such arrays, the characteristics of the sound and the extreme resolution would be expected. I have no doubt the GR Research speakers in the video are much more resolving than typical dipoles with big sheet diaphragms, and similar ESLs too. I am sure, too, that it would be quite a bit cleaner than the Tekton design models. But, of course, that is initial opinion, and would have to be compared to reach final conclusion. 

I would find it a very interesting comparison to hear this new model with the servo sub in comparison to the wonderfully fresh and scintillatingly beautiful new genre, the DLT (Disproportionately Large Tweeter; my phrase) of the Aspen Acoustics Lagrange L1 preproduction model. See my review of the smaller Lagrange L5 MkII at Dagogo.com. Disclosure: I own the L1 preproduction, and will own the production model of the L1, and will give it an owner's review. The L1 also has extreme precision; 3 hard core audiophile guests the other day all concluded the same about the L1, phenomenal precision, definition, etc. but tonally spot on. My guests were as blindsided by the abject beauty of the L1 as were these guys re: the GR Research. 

There are some cool new speakers out there. It's always a changing game, thanks to inventive designers! 

If you want to get up to speed on why a chip amp can be better than 300B, see my review of the Legacy Audio i.V4 Ultra Amplifier, also at Dagogo.com. The future will not be kind to tube amps. 

The drivers have gone up in price because of the cost of neodymium magnets (vast majority from china). They are what makes these little planar magnetics so efficient. To make a real line source with the Neo Tens, crossed at the 160 Hz he mentions, the speakers will need to be at least 8 feet tall. The tweeter section can be shorter but you would need enough of them to match output and impedance. I can imagine these being a great speaker. As compared to my favorite ESLs the only downside I can think of is having to use a crossover in the midrange. From what I have seen so far dispersion characteristics may not be as controlled as a Sound Lab style ESL. They would be a much easier load than ESLs and way more efficient. Doing them in kit form would be an easy build but you are looking at around $3000 in drivers alone and you have not gotten into the bass yet. 160 Hz is a bit high for a subwoofer crossover and these subwoofers need to be line source to match the rest of the loudspeaker. So, you would need to either build two floor to ceiling enclosures with four drivers in each or do what I do which is to arrange the subs along the base of the front wall making a horizontal line source. 
I would think a practiced DIYer could do the whole affair for $8000 which is not bad considering what you get. I would tri amp the whole affair and use digital crossovers. But, will they image? The big downside would be resale value. If you wind up not liking them you are going to lose a lot of money. I have no doubt that they can be made to sound excellent and probably made to image well but there is no way to know that for sure.