More watts or better power ?

Hello, I am currently running a PS Audio BHK Preamp, which has a tube input stage, to a Pass Labs XA25, Class A (50watts at 4 ohms) power Amp, into a pair of Sonus Faber Minima Amator II bookshelf speakers. My system sounds very good, and at 4ohms, I have 50 watts of power to my speakers, which is on the lower end of their rating.

What would be a better investment (most bang for the buck) into the system? Replace the XA25 with a higher watt amp (PS Audio BHK 250?), or spend the same money on a power conditioner (PS Audio Power Plant II?) Or upgrade the Minima Amator (which are sounding very good) to another set of speakers.

The system is in my bedroom, I have a very small house, hence the smaller Sonus Faber Speakers. I have beenplaying around with an SVS micro sub as well.

Other system parts, Clear Audio Concept/ Concept MC, Pass Labs XP15, Little Green Roon Server, Schitt Yiggi, and a Luxman MQ 88 Tube amp in rotation.

Appreciate your input
Mark O

128x128marktheshark
I would think a larger size amp would be like buying a new car and opting for the model with greater HP.  A larger size amp would work les hard and I wonder if this in turn would produce better sound.  I have always thought the larger the amp the better.  However, it would have to have the type of sound you are trying to obtain.

Not sure if you have a pair of subwoofers.  When I added my REL S2 subs, I was able to reproduce more bass at lower listening volumes.
There’s been lots written but here are my two adds: one more factual guidance, the other my opinion based on hearing various Sonus Fabers.

1. re: power vs quality - more power is only beneficial if you are exceeding the VOLTAGE limit of the amp. The Pass labs stuff can deliver plenty of current for its modest voltage (about 14 volts rms) under normal dynamic conditions (where one uses on average ~ 10-% of rated power due to music’s peak: average ratio) . If you are beginning to clip - get more power. Else. move on IMO. Note my answer assumes that money is limited and you can only spend your budget once: so money spent on an amp, for instance, is not spent on speakers.  Hint: i think you ought to look at speakers - whether i be subwoofers or a thoroughly different speaker. Yet that may not match your personal likes.

2. re: the speakers - it would be helpful to know the problem you are trying to solve. They will never have much bass - the laws of [physics are not on thier side, yet many speakers that solve that problem violate the laws of decorating. Only you know.

That said, when i have heard the Sonus Fabers they always sound somewhat bright and harsh from the upper mids up. This is, IMO, common in many components that seek "detail". It does not sound like music to me. Don;t get me wrong, they are very good speakers, but IMO nowhere near the quality of your preamp and amp (having only heard *ABOUT* the BHK, but knowing Nelson’s stuff).

Yet that may no be your objective at all. Step #1 if finding a solution is knowing the problem!

G
Audiophilia nervosa? We all have it.
Powered subwoofers and external crossovers to reduce the bass load on the Amators might be worth trying.
You have great stuff, by the way.
Have fun!

+1 for Silversmith Fidelium speaker cables. They are not expensive and probably the best available at any price. A no brainer.
Then as good a cartridge as you can afford. Source is critical.
If your amp is not clipping, you will not benefit from more power.
It is always tempting to get a bigger amp but not needed.
You seem to have a very nice system especially for a small room.
The Fidelium SC have a trial period but you will not send them back.
And the cartridge is where the sound is coming from.
I love the XA25. I own one.  If it already plays loud enough.....

So.  Cross the subs at 80 to 100 Hz.  Then you for sure have enough power.  The drivers in your speakers will vibrate less at lower volumes clearing up the sound, less IM distortion.  And the subs will increase dynamics.

Also, unless I missed it do you have your speakers isolated? I want to try this as well.  Supposed to clean up several things.  Soundstage for one.

If you want to try a different pre amp, a Don Sachs or Supratek are high quality for 2 to 3 k.