So how much do you think the placebo effect impacts our listening preferences?

My hypothesis is that for ~%97 of us, the more a headphone costs the more we will enjoy the headphone.

My secondary hypothesis is that the more I told consumers a headset cost, the more they would enjoy the phones. i.e. a $30 headphone < $300 headphone < $3,000 headphones <<< $30,000 headphones.

I’m willing to bet that if I put the kph 30i drivers in the focal utopia’s chassis and told participants in this fake study that the phones cost $4k.... Everyone except for the 3%ers would never guess something was up. The remaining 97% would have no clue and report that it was the best set they ever heard.

Then if I gave them the kph30i and explained it was $30. 97% of people would crap on them after hearing the same driver in a different chassis.

My ultimate hypothesis is that build quality and price are the two most important factors in determining if people will enjoy a set of headphones. This how I rationalize the HD8XX getting crap on when only 3 people have heard it and publicly provided their opinion lol. "It’s a cheaper 800s, of course it’s going to sound worse!"

mikedangelo
@mastering92,

"One of the most important things I've learned in life is...You can take a horse to water, but you can't make him drink it. People will do what they want. You can't stop them - even if/when you provide the most logical solutions."

My experiences too.

I guess the real trick is to get them to believe that whatever you're promoting is actually what THEY really want to do!

In fact most of the trillions of global advertising revenue dollars spent seem to be attempting to do exactly that.

Yet it often remains a difficult task as anyone who's ever tried their hand at teaching might tell you.

Thanks for the tip about the Sony MDR M1ST.

It looks like Sony have put some real effort into its design, so they might be ones to look out for if you want a pair of headphones that will let you hear what your recordings actually sound like.

The reason the  Sony MDR 7506s have been around virtually unchanged for decades because thousands of industry users have come to trust it.

Even multi-million dollar film soundtracks are checked for accuracy with them.

And then someone goes and adds a ton of compression....and makes it almost unlistenable.

Ah well, such is life!
Post removed 
Rick and Krissy are coming in less than two weeks. For two whole years I have been bragging about having the best system in the universe. Well the known universe anyway. So their expectation bias is set sky high. Also the last year or so has established me as the foremost authority on high end audio, this side of Michael Fremer anyway, if not quite the known universe. So the placebo effect is maximized as well. This is therefore a done deal. I mean, if expectation bias and placebo effect have anything to do with anything.
@cd318

Regarding the Sony MDR-M1ST ( I think every studio should own a pair ) 

They are neutral with detail retrieval and sonic characteristics that you would typically find in more expensive headphones. They are actually made in Japan.  (They’re only about $400). As I’ve told some of my friends; the product description (intended purpose) is more important than price.

Bass: Tight - well extended, but slightly warm (this can easily be tuned)
Midrange: Accurate - the tonality/extension of vocals and instruments
Treble: Excellent - some of the best I’ve heard on headphones
Imaging: Superb - but depends on what is being played
Soundstage: Well above average (almost sounds like an open design)

One of the biggest benefits of headphones is their immediacy in terms of sonic presentation. With headphones, you only need a fairly quite room. Each headphone will provide something unique in terms of build quality, styling, and sound signature. With headphones, you get a lot of choices.

I’m not bashing speakers or saying anything negative about them. With speakers, you have many other variables to consider (room treatments, having a good room, amps, DACs, CD players, cables, etc.

Once again, to each their own. If I get a super pair of speakers/full system again, it will be when I have someone to share it with.

For now, my cheapo $500 Panasonic shelf system is fine...because I’m not being hypercritical of how it sounds. I’m using it for subjective enjoyment (enjoying lyrics, emotions, favourite instruments in songs etc.)

@millercarbon
I think everyone probably appreciates your comment. This audio hobby should not be a competition of who has the most expensive or resolving system...yours looks great btw (the room looks epic)
One of the biggest benefits of headphones is their immediacy in terms of sonic presentation. With headphones, you only need a fairly quite room. Each headphone will provide something unique in terms of build quality, styling, and sound signature. With headphones, you get a lot of choices.

I’m not bashing speakers or saying anything negative about them. With speakers, you have many other variables to consider (room treatments, having a good room, amps, DACs, CD players, cables, etc.

You are right saying that....

I know that a speakers/room system, and not necessarily a costly one, when rightfully embed will beat most heaphones i know of...

But it is way more easy and less costly in money and time sometimes for some to create an headphone system...

It takes me almost no money but hundred of listenings experiments to make my room/speakers relation right...

This tuning take me a couple of years all in all and few months of intense experiments listenings with Helmholtz method of resonators and diffusers...And it is impossible to fully implement it in a living room...

Someone, unlike me, could buy a very costly system and install it in a larger less difficult room than my small square room... And he will probably get good resuts with only usual acoustical materials treatments....Without using a grid of 40 Helmholtz resonators and diffusers...And others unorthodox devices...

Anyway yes, it is relative to anybody taste and choice and capital disponibility , but in the absolute if my small low cost speakers system can beat my 7 headphones of all types, a costly refine speakers system will be superior and will be no match for any headphone, ESPECIALLY if vibration, electrical noise floor and acoustic are controlled....At this point it is no more taste but an acoustical fact....Soix is right about that...

Between the taste and favorite choice and the ultimate fact and truth of speakers or headphones advantages there is the scale of S.Q. /price ratio and the underestimate working domensions of the audio system embeddings triple controls....It take these 3 embeddings factors together and a relatively refine system to reach the speakers/ room ideal and optimal possibilities....And for me it take a goddam period of time to tune them right...

My best to all and deepest respect....