Please clear up my confusion re: meaning of "balanced" !

I am confused about this term. I've been told it can refer to either a type of topology or simply a type of connection. 

If this is true, can I connect a DAC (Aqua La Voce S2) with balanced XLR outputs to a headphone amp with balanced topology (Schiit Jotuheim 2) ? 

Here are links to photos of back panels of both components: 

DAC:

https://www.usaudiomart.com/details/649395475-aqua-la-voce-s2-dac/images/1710537/

Headphone Amp: 

https://www.schiit.com/products/jotunheim-3

stuartk
The Wikipedia article on balanced audio probably covers everything you're looking for. Clicking through some of the links in the article will give you more details.
The non-technical answer in audio is that a balanced connector (type XLR) uses one of the three legs for a ground wire. The only thing to know is some audio designs are a fully "balanced" ground and some are not. A fully balanced ground design lets you run long runs with adding noise to the system and are often at a higher level than the unbalanced connectors (RCA type).  
Thanks for your responses.

@russ69:

Yes-- this is the distinction that concerns me-- connecting a "fully balanced" component to one that merely has XLR connectors.  

I read the Wikipedia article, but am still unclear regarding my question about connecting the two components I mentioned. 

I guess I will have to ask the manufacturers directly. 
There are differentially balanced equipment that the circuit is fully balanced, then there are balanced equipment that uses transformers to still get a balanced connection. There are some equipment that use XLR's but don't have a balanced connection.
Yes you can connect them. Balanced topology or not does not affect that in the least.

Here is a very simple rule that will serve you well throughout all your life, audio and otherwise: if the connectors fit, you can use them. Period.

Every single connector on every single thing made in every single country on Earth works this way. They are all designed in order to prevent damage, specifically risk of fire. Why everyone isn't told this, or hasn't figured it out, is one of the great mysteries of life.