Considerations prior to your next purchase

I propose that applying the term audiophile to a person over fifty is an oxymoron and such, that person can’t really be trusted to make competent choices when it comes to purchasing or discerning what actually sounds best.

According to Decibel Hearing Services https://decibelhearing.com/high-frequency-hearing-loss/ it is very hard for a person over 50 to hear over 12,000hrz and I suspect that most in that group who consider themselves audiophiles probably can’t get close to that as we tend to enjoy or enjoyed in the past the louder volumes which is a known destroyer of high frequency hearing

If you notice from the linked chart most people over 18 can’t hear over 17,400hrs so truth be told the only true audiophiles are probably 12 year old girls. Because they can actually hear 20 to 20,000hrs they are the only group who are truly qualified to actually make component sound decisions

(The other option which actually might be easier is to train cats to make the decision but I’ll explore that in a later thread.)

What I’m proposing is actually based on the babysitting model where you would hire the true audiophiles to come either with you to the stereo shop or in your home space to perform the listening tests. The benefits to them would not only be short term CASH but also long term. I fear that the whole high end stereo complex is going to die out when the current crop of wanna be audiophiles die off. Just think in 10 years there would be a population of new listeners that could tell the difference from booming bass and flabby bass. They would be a catch for every 22 year old guy with a stereo. Maybe they could even effect the music scene where recording and dynamics matter.

Thoughts?

128x128danager
So the OP is suggesting paying prepubescent girls to come 'listen to his stereo'. I'll pass.

@dadork So, you're a prepubescent girl? Welcome.
hilde45-
MC, this is an incredibly interesting fact. I’m currently researching hearing for some things I’m writing about audio and attention. Do you have a source for this you can share? 
Sorry, wish I did. Came across it fairly recently when reading about this ultra sonic stuff. It totally conforms with everything we know about older guys losing top end hearing according to tests, yet still having exceptional hearing in terms of listening and being able to evaluate all kinds of subtle details. If you can't hear hf how then do you hear all this subtle detail? Same way I hear improvement even though it is apparently all well above the range I can hear I guess.
“Everyone’s gone to the movies… now we’re alone at last “

Steely Dan