Best Preamp and Amp combination, interesting finding!!!

Hi all,

Yesterday, I decided to conduct a very interesting experience using my amp and preamp combinations. In the interest of fair discussion and also avoiding brand war, please allow me to conceal the name of the amps and preamps, knowing that both amps and preamps came from the same manufactures. The combinations are as below: 

Combination 1 (C1): $3000 preamp + $1000 amp
Combination 2 (C2): $1000 preamp + $3000 amp.

I went back and forth between C1 and C2 several times with multiple people, using the same speakers and DAC. The volume of both C1 and C2 was adjusted to be equal using my Db meter. 
At the end of the experience, almost everyone including me prefers C1. Which is a higher-end preamp combined with the lower-end amp. 
I was surprised by that finding. I always thought that the amp has a greater impact to sound quality, but my experiment proved otherwise. If you have any similar experiences, please let me know. I would like to understand why it happens that way. Why the preamp has a greater impact on the overall sound quality comparing to the amp?
128x128viethluu
I think this is a useful comparison. No, not a scientific study. But since I got into high end audio (1978) I have been under the impression that the preamp was the defining component of the two, and critical in the overall system. I am sure I learned this through reading The Absolute Sound and Stereophile, and probably discussions at high end showrooms. Like any generality, it might not be true in a specific system. But a very good idea to keep in mind when choosing components. I have probably put much more effort into preamp choice versus other components.
Aside from attenuator, not many understand what happens inside the preamp box.  A ten inch signal path inside a box costing $5 to $15k.

I’ll take it !

What you may have "proved" is that the C1 amp is a better match for your speakers.