Speaker Cables? why all the hype for expensive speaker wire?

After listening to many speaker cables, I am listening to basic 14 Gauge, high purity copper speaker wire and find myself shaking my head.  Does this basic speaker wire sound better than cables many times the price?  I am really starting to ponder that question.  I think I am hearing things on my records I never heard before and better balance of sound.  What are your thoughts?
tzh21y
What got me thinking about this was the fact that many people that I listen with have great equipment and just basic speaker cables. I was hearing things on their systems that I was not hearing on mine. It got me thinking, how can these systems sound so great with home depot speaker wire? 

Simple: everything matters. Come listen to my system with lamp cord, patch cords, and freebie rubber power cords. I will pull them out of my junk drawer and put them in special just for you. You will be floored how good it will sound. Because if that is all you hear that is all you know, and you will be impressed. Just like with your friend's systems.

Then I will change just the speaker cable and your jaw will drop. Then I will change the interconnect. You will not believe it. Finally the power cords. It will be a whole new system. Each time. By the time we are done your mind will be boggling how anything could ever sound so good.

It's because of those wires you think don't matter.
IME, speaker cables are the most important of any cable.
I replaced $6K ones with $1200 Silversmith Fideliums.
Silversmith says that they are 3 times better signal transmission (I believe) than their silver cables at 1/10th the price.
One of the best upgrades I ever made!
What i have noticed in certain speaker cables is that seem to embellish certain parts of the music like bass and some things seem distant and do not sound like real instruments.  Take for example a hammond organ.  Some systems make the organ sound like an organ, some make it sound like a sound.  Same thing with certain even higher priced cables.  This 14 gauge wire does not seem to embellish anything.  lol
The higher the resolution in your system, the more you will appreciate things like high end cables if you have, or acquire, the listening skills. It should not matter to you what others think, you are building a system for your use and enjoyment. The higher the price, the nicer the nice. (Up to a point and you get to determine where that point is.)