Lousy IEC Connections

I have had many different power cords.  I will not name manufacturers, but they are well known.  I continue to experience IEC plug slop.  And, quite frankly, I am tired of it.  Why spend the money on the cord when the connection is ultimately lame.
Have you experienced said slop and have you a solution?
rpw357
Which reminds me, what a walrus has in common with Tupperware: they both like a tight seal. 
A classic.
These are all good suggestions - cable risers, shrink wrap, friction tape, teflon tape, installing aftermarket connectors, etc. but....these are all patches.  The root cause is not being addressed; and that is ultimately up to the manufacturers.  IMO, for the money that we spend on this stuff we should not be accepting of applying patches.  I doubt that any of us would be accepting of having a new toillet installed and being told as the plumber walked out the door to make sure we jiggled the handle.
As millercarbon suggests, a couple wraps with teflon tape or in my case, a couple wraps of electrical tape around the exposed barrel will tighten her up just fine. Experiment with the amount of tape to get just the right snug fit...
rpw - now I get it.  You DO know that the specification for IEC's on components ONLY specifies the dimensions and location of the actual connectors NOT the cup that they fit into.  This is NOT a manufacturing issue- it is an issue with the lack of specifications for the cup!  Use the recommended "patches", because the specifications are not going to be enhanced or changed at this point.
jwp-
You make a very good point, it could be those sloppy female sockets that get me riled up; it may not be the male connector.  Sockets might be intentionally oversized so that any connector will fit.