Streamer Advice / Recommendation for Denafrips R2R DAC

I really could use some help / recommendations on the choice of a streamer.  Here's where I am in my research:
I've decided on a Denafrips Pontus DAC (R2R) because of it's sound characteristics (musical while maintaining definition).  It is within my budget, while the Terminator is not.

My current thinking is I need a streamer that does not have memory, amplification or a DAC on board.  I will use the streamer-DAC pairing to listen to music in a AVR / Music setup: Denon AVR3700H (105 watts) connected to a Rotel 1590 power amp through the Denon precouts.  Bowers & Wilkins 702 S2 (left right) speakers.  Bowers & Wilkins 802 center channel (power connection by Denon amp)  SVS and Yamaha powered subwoofers. When used for streaming Netflix it's a 7.2 setup.

For streaming music I listen to the usual list of suspect: Tidal, Qobuz, Spotify.  In it's current setup, the system is too bright and harsh.  Speaker placement is in the room from acoustic hell: rectangular 15' x 45' with the front/ center channel speakers facing the narrow width (unfortunately by necessity and I'm in the process of adding reflection panels to cover 15% of the room.

I am determined to achieve music that does not wear me out after a couple of hours listening: well produced electronic music / R&B  / piano jazz.  I like midrange dominance but without too much detail in the +8k hz.

I learned to budget more for the DAC than the streamer, but most of the streamers I've looked at are combo amp/hard drive/DAC or they have networking into multi rooms. The  Auralic Aries G2.1  is out of my budget by about $2,500 (at 5,100 US), Willing to pay more for great sound but am unsure the streamer makes that much of a difference than the DAC.

Advice? Setup Recommendations?

128x128Ag insider logo xs@2xpmreagan2
I have the Pontus II and the Bluesound Node 2 and the Pro-ject S2 Ultra. I’ve only had the Ultra for a couple of days, but my impression in comparison to the Node is meh; I hear nothing that’s impressing me about the Ultra so far. It can take a little patience to set up, and one wrong setting can block any music totally. Follow what little instructions are available with the Ultra and that will help, but the Bluesound is so much easier to get up and running. I still haven’t gotten the PC USB detox path to work at all. Bluesound has its own software which can lag showing all of albums at times, but never locks up on me like the Pro-ject screen does, requiring me to restart it multiple times a session.  The Pro-ject software also has this annoying habit of either not starting at the beginning of a song and/or cutting the end short and going to the next one. I have the current version of the software so it’s not that.  My experience with the Ultra better get better or it’s going out the door. 
@bikerbw

yes, i too tried the project streambox, and prior to that, the volumio primo... both well reviewed and recommended streamers - these are of course based on the popular volumio streaming software

but there is something so obtuse and difficult about setting these up, you are right, one false move and the thing bricks... just won’t play, and you cannot go back to the start screen, wipe clean and try again - one of the more frustrating experiences i had when i started to stream

even after i got the primo working, i did not like the software and how it interfaced with tidal and qobuz... was very awkward and difficult to save and access favorites, for instance, and see the past playlist

i returned both for refunds (within 10 days for the streambox as i could never properly initialize, and within 30 days for the volumio unit)... i am happy with blu os and the node 2i... have several of them, they work well and the software, while needing some updates periodically, works well and i can save and access favorites easily
I use a bluesound node 2 with the Ares 2 and the sound is incredible. So good that I will soon be upgrading to the Pontus 2. I admit this is the only streamer I’ve ever owned, so take that for what it’s worth. But, the jump in sound quality when I added the Ares and bypassed the bluesound’s DAC was night and day. The ease of the user interface on the node is what seals the deal for me. I also need to mention that cable upgrades and vibration control are a must for the node. As much as you’re willing to spend on a power cable and a digital coax will reap huge rewards. BDR cones on the bottom and a heavy weight door stop on top of the unit will bring immediate improvement, too. These additions will likely at least double your cost of the streamer. Still a bargain. 
@pmreagan2    

"Now it’s a matter of figuring out how to transition my components from a primarily theater setup (being frank about it) to a primarily music/ theater system."    

Not sure if you are still in need of someone else's "2 cents", but I had the same issues you have and they are now solved.    

What you need to do is use an integrated amplifier with a HT (home theatre) bypass. This will allow you to run your home theatre setup through the Denon, but the two channel system will run through the integrated amp. @Soix is correct that the Denon is the weak link. It isn't that the Denon isn't a good AVR. It is the fact that AVR's are inherently inferior to integrated amplifiers or other two channel setups. My previous system was built around Cambridge Audio's top of the line CXR200 AVR, but it just wasn't doing it for me.   

To fix things, I purchased a Musical Fidelity M6si that has a HT bypass. I sold the CXR200 because it did not allow for separate output of the front left and right channels and replaced it with a Anthem MXR520.    

Now I run all the HT components through the Anthem and all the two channel through the Musical Fidelity. I was even able to separate the power by running all the two channel power cables into a separate power conditioner.