Feeling the Spirit!

For whatever reason in my crazy mind, the Norman Greenbaum song, Spirit in the Sky popped into my head and I decided to give it a listen. Oh my! I streamed this through Tidal from the original album of the same name and was very impressed by the dynamics. With the volume at a healthy but listenable level, the opening guitar about floored me. Give it a listen. It sounds incredible for a 1969 recording.
128x128falconquest
"It sounds incredible for a 1969 recording."

Good, reference quality recording started a decade or so earlier. 
For  R&R/pop, maybe a few recordings start showing up mid 60's?

It's also a pretty good album, overall. I picked up a really nice NM copy a couple of years ago for very little money.
The record danager called the best he's ever heard, Sinatra-Basie, was recorded in 1962. A truly fine record, to be sure.  

Those of us who spin vinyl know just how unbelievably good some of the early recordings can be. I think what surprises people is they know that back then hardly anyone had good home reproduction. Even the very best in the world back then, a lot of us today take much better than that for granted. So most people wind up just naturally assuming that since today's playback gear is so much better today's recordings must be as well. They are shocked to hear the reverse is true.  

The OP can chime in and set the record straight about why he said, "incredible." But I think in a lot of cases this explains why people would react this way. 
The opening distorted guitar caught me by surprise at how raw and visceral it sounded. I haven't listened to this song in years so I was rather taken aback by the quality of the recording. Of course I also am impressed by the old audiophile classic we all know, Brubeck's, Time Out. As for the difference between streaming and vinyl, eh, who knows. I think my rig sounds fantastic so I guess that's all that matters.

As for my agreeing with miller, my comment about "I suppose it does", have you not employed the strategy of agreeing with someone who likes to engage in needless argumentation as a way of getting them to back off? It was not my intention to start a conversation about streaming vs. vinyl. The intent was to discuss the quality of this particular recording which is why it is posted in the "music" category. If anyone cares to mention other quality tracks that surprised you, please do! 
Tom Petty, Southern Accents, the whole album is an audiophile masterpiece!