Springsteen and Clapton on their favorite, heh, band.

I went and saw Once Were Brothers; Robbie Robertson And The Band in a theater early last year, and now tonight on a DVD at home. It is alternately both thrilling and irritating, but that’s not the point of this thread. If you don’t already know how very, very special The Band were, and the deep impact they made on Rock ’n’ Roll, here is what Bruce and Eric had to say about them in the film:

- Springsteen: "I think I was in a little coffee shop in Redbank, New Jersey. I kid came in with Music From Big Pink, put it on the sound system. And suddenly this music comes on, and everything changes."

- Clapton: "When I heard Big Pink, it was like someone had nailed me through my chest onto the wall. I was immediately converted. I thought ’This is what I want to do’. It changed my life."

Mine too.
128x128bdp24
@onhwy61
I so agree about 'The Band' being a masterpiece.  The poignancy of 'The Night They Drove Old Dixie Down" still brings a tear to my eye, and I'm no admirer of the Lost Cause.  But if one is, this song speaks to why.  They evoke "Americana" so brilliantly on every track, not equalled by MFBK or 'Stagefright' either, IMO.
I never got into The Band, I also enjoy threads like this one so I listened to the two albums and came away with the same feelings I had back in '68.  Ambivalence, which in this case turns into work to listen.

I'm happy for all the people that are really into it. Just not for me.

This sort of reminds me of a good female friend who states "wow wait 'till you see this girl, she is really beautiful".  Only to find that quite the opposite is true.  Go figure.

Regards,
barts
@sgreg1: Can’t disagree with ya, mate! I had tuned out contemporary Rock ’n’ Roll by the time Born To Run was released, but all the noise about that album sparked my curiosity. I got the LP, and found it to echo (no pun intended ;-) Shakespeare: All sound and fury, signifying nothing. Bruce said his idea for the BTR album was Roy Orbison produced by Phil Spector. Speaking of Roy: have you seen the film A Black & White Night? Bruce’s performance is unintentionally funny; I was actually embarrassed for him.

Bruce’s singing on BTR (and many other albums) exhibits far too much "bluster", Bruce trying waaay too hard. Reminds me of seeing Albert King at The Fillmore; he didn’t have to "try" to sound soulful, it just came out that way. I borrowed Bruce’s previous two albums from a friend, and had to at least give Bruce props for firing his drummer on those albums. Terr-i-ble. What a sloppy, disjointed, awkward mess, the drummer waaay over-playing. He obviously never studied Roger Hawkins (The Swampers), Al Jackson (Booker T & The MG’s), and Earl Palmer (Little Richard), and did not understand the role drums play in Rock ’n’ Roll. It’s great that Bruce finally fired him, but why did he hire him in the first place? His playing ruins those two albums, butchering the songs.

"The Night They Drove Old Dixie Down" is everything people say about it, but "The Weight" is the one that still chokes me up. It is---along with "A Whiter Shade Of Pale", " God Only Knows", and "What Becomes Of The Brokenhearted", all masterpieces of songwriting---the most "majestic" song I’ve ever heard. Makes one thrilled to be alive.

@onhwy61: I love the debut by The Electric Flag, and was fortunate in being able to see and hear them live in the Summer of ’68. They were fantastic, one of the best bands I’ve ever seen. The commencement of their set was delayed, Mike Bloomfield nowhere to be found (probably scoring ;-). He finally showed up, jumped on stage, and the band (which included four sax players: two baritone, two bass!) kicked into "Killing Floor", the Howlin’ Wolf song which opens the album. OMG, they were on fire! Unfortunate for the doors, who had to follow them on stage. To characterize them as sounding underwhelming is to be generous.

The only band which comes close to The Band for me are NRBQ, very under-appreciated and acknowledged imo. Their fans include Bonnie Raitt, Nick Lowe, Dave Edmunds, and Elvis Costello, all also huge Band fans. But in saying that, I'm ignoring for the sake of this discussion the great studio bands: The Swampers, The Wrecking Crew, The Motown house band, the Nashville A-list players, Booker T & The MG's (the house band at Stax Records, heard on many recordings). That's another thing that made The Band so unique: a self-contained unit whose musicianship was as good as that of studio players.
The before and after album impact is an interesting idea, but I would then argue that MFBP wasn't even the most impactful album released in 1968.  Aretha Franklin's "Lady Soul" takes that prize.  People have been trying to sing like Aretha for the past 50 years.  Jerry Wexler produced, Tom Dowd engineered with the late great Roger Hood and the Swampers anchoring the band.  Eric Clapton even plays on one song.

The Mothers Of Invention's "We're Only In It For the Money" and "Cruising With Rueben & the Jets" also came out in 1968.

My vote for the album that changed rock is 1967's "Velvet Underground & Nico".  A critical and commercial disaster, but to quote Brian Eno -- The Velvet Underground didn’t sell many records, but everyone who bought one went out and started a band.

BDP24, nothing but respect for your love of the Band.  I'm just quibbling about things that need to be quibbled.