Where are the young audiophiles?

I find it alarming that 95% of all audiophiles are seniors.According to a consultant at my local HI-FI store,young people don't seem interested in high-end equipment.They listen to music on their phone.Sooner or later, all the great neighborhood HI-FI stores will not be able to remain open. Kind of sad,don't you think?
128x128rockysantoro
Same happens with a lot of things. Young people start out drinking to get drunk. Eventually some of them learn to appreciate and savor the finer qualities of spirits, wine, and beer. Fifty years ago we had a whole nation of lager quaffers, if you can glorify Bud with "lager". Today quality craft ales line the shelves across the land.  

When I was young and poor I gravitated to some of the finer cheap wines like Gallo Hearty Burgundy. Instead of looking down on the younger generations and lamenting the rising cost of everything we would be better off encouraging them to find audio quality wherever they can.  

Plenty of younger audiophiles out there.  Not sure why you’re not meeting them.  I chat with plenty of them when I am out and about.  I also have a young cousin and two nieces, all in there mid-20s who have good systems.  When I was there age, I was the only one in my family with any interest in MUSIC, much less EQUIPMENT.  So, a three-fold increase in audiophiles in one generation sounds pretty optimistic to me.  
When I was young, living in Hamburg NJ, a small rural community, I was the only audiophile that I knew personally.

When I lived in NYC (for 45 years), I knew of two other audiophiles.

Today, in my neck of the woods here in Newburgh NY in the Hudson Valley, I know of two other audiophiles.

Anecdotal evidence for what it is worth. 

My daughter, aged 38, a professional musician, is finally interested in audio and vinyl, but because it’s hip. She’s consulting me on what to buy, and all the things she picks are because “the rad DJs use it!” 🙄
All about demographics and disposable income. And a lot has to do with the fact that a phone and earbuds is perfectly OK to most of them. As they get older and have more money to spend, some of those might decide to see if they can get the music they love to sound 'better'. And then, a lot of people don't like 'audiophile' sound - they'd rather have teeth-rattling bass with lots of volume than something more accurate.