New ebay payments require SS#?

I received an email from ebay and they now will deposit your amount from a sale directly into your bank account.  So, they require your routing and account numbers.  But they also required my SS number, which I'm not sure I like.  They say the purpose is to comply with government regulations.  Is there any reason to think they would transmit the amount of your sales to the irs and issue you a 1099?  I only occasionally sell used items on ebay and don't consider any amount I receive to be taxable income.  Thoughts? 
mtrot
Sounds like an indirect phishing scam even if it is truly eBay. The compliance costs, safeguarding information alone will be a massive cost increase to companies like eBay. Wait until they have a major breach with information that can empty your bank account. I would never provide bank account#, routing# and SS#. Expect to get screwed by a merchant somewhere just as much as if you sent it to the Nigerian “diplomat” that has money they can’t access overseas and they need your help getting it out for a finders fee. They just need the same information from you. “eBay” and anyone can ask for that information as much as they want, but I’ll take my business elsewhere!
They have asked me for the same information saying that if I don't comply I may lose my rights to sell on ebay. I refuse to comply and I am going to cancel my account. FYI I just recently had a sale the buyer paid using their new system and they will not release the funds until I give them the information.  Not Happening too much scamming going on with ebay. 

Chuck
Yeah, I just ended three items I had for sale because all this ticked me off so much.  Like I said above, Craigslist may soon be seeing a boom of activity.
Everything would be fine IF Ebay claimed they were hacked or not?

No mater the reason your information is NOT safe anywhere. Silly to think it is.

BUT don’t just fling the door wide open for sloppy tax collecting policies.

It’s ALL about TAXES and people paying them or NOT. Nothing else.

Scammers hardly need Ebay to do it..

The government and those that collect money for them do.. I question all the collection is it actually going to the ol TAX Collector. That’s what I question... Is Ebay cooking the books? It would be absurdity to think they WEREN’T. They are as crooked as the tax collection process is.. How broke in that.. the US Tax system.. ALL OF IT.. Din of thieves

Ebay is not in the billions it's in the TRILLIONS
I don’t sell anything and certainly won’t start.  The boon to selling sites this year will be followed by a drop thereafter, as people just don’t want to provide such sensitive information and deal with the hassle of reporting income from sales.  Another blow to the average person just trying to sell off things that they have lying around.  The internet becomes less useful.