Open Baffle Opinions - I Won't go back to Boxed Speakers Evr Again (maybe....)

https://photos.app.goo.gl/cg64ScibP75b1YVF6

My very last DIY effort after doing the DIY Speaker thing (for myself only) for 35 years (only 5 pairs built in that time). These are my best effort WRT to sound quality. Bass down to 30Hz, sweet treble and midrange to die for.

All Parts Express Drivers. GRS Planar, GRS 12" (Qts = 1.27) Woofers, and Dynavox 5 1/4" midrange/midbass Drivers. All in $600. Still some tweaking to to on the Cabinet and the Crossovers. A simple 1st Order 16uF Sonicraft Capacitor on the Tweeter and a 2nd Order Bandpass on the 3 Dynavox Drivers. The H-Frame Woofers section is powered by an ICE Power Class D (1000W@4 Ω). Two for stereo of course. MiniDSP dialed in for a 250Hz Linkwitz-Riley 4th Order LPF, the Bandpass is 250Hz - 2500Hz, and the Magnetic Planar BG knockoff by GRS takes over at 2500Hz. No L-Pads anywhere !

My question is what is the Phantom Center like ? Mine is not as focused as I’d like it to be. But my God, the soundstage, imaging, front to back depth is amazing. Clarity like I’ve never heard before form a Box Speaker and the Bass is like I’ve never experienced. No Box Boom. 40Hz all Day and I can hit 30 Hz with very little attenuation

rajugsw
Very fun and interesting project you've done!

If the three drivers were sealed as stated above, based on the specs for the drivers, they will naturally have an F3 of 130hz, with a 0.105cuft which should make crossing over at that point quite simple.  With a QTS for these drivers being .34, and an EPB of 137, I think they could benefit from being boxed in. Although, they would prefer a ported design, which is not a good idea for an OB speaker :)

Would be very curious to see what the difference would be having the 3 drivers in the same sealed cabinet vs having them in their own sealed enclosures. 

I'm a bit confused as to the reasoning behind the H frame and how it dissects the top woofer. Asking because I have been wanting to build some open baffle speakers for myself, but 4x15" woofers, 2x6.5" full range drivers and a (possibly) rear firing super tweeter (not to mention crossovers) they can get quite costly as an experiment.  The wings and associated math to sort out baffle step is something I have not wanted to take on quite yet either.

Decwares approach with the curved edges is an interesting design approach, but again, either math, or a LOT of wood being cut to experiment with.

@bdp24 , @atmasphere - I have also found that moving the speakers further into the room and adding some diffusion behind the speakers helps a lot with the imaging and soundstage. I have two 2x4' GIK panels with diffusor plates behind each speaker and have the speakers placed such that the front of the baffle is about 7ft from the front wall.  This creates a deep sound stage with nicely focused imaging. I wouldn't say it's the sharpest imaging I've ever heard, but I really like the overall presentation. 

@sejodiren - yes the DQ10s were one of the first speakers to popularize open baffle, although these speakers used a conventional box enclosure for the woofer. 
@rajugsa. Very interesting design and their specifications make for wanting to hear them.
I also have a pair of open speakers (if you expand my avatar you can see one in my room. They are Kyron Audio Gaia’s. for a better look check out
www.kyronaudio.com.au under speakers /Gaia
They are sublime with a huge stage. Interesting characteristic is the louder you turn them up, there is a point where instead of volume, you get fullness. Like listening to a full orchestral then adding more instruments. Wonderful!
Do your open speakers open up the sound rather than a box?
AG 🇦🇺
@jayfor Diffusers are next on my list. I have 6  sponge type absorptive panels at the 1st reflection points in the room, above the listening couch, and as you see in the pictures, placed in the corners like Bass Traps (which I know they are not). two 20"x 20" behind each Speaker may do the trick. If not, it's Amazon so I can return them & get my money back.

I'll let all of you know. Thanks again. Great tips so far.
FWIW

While I am aware of wings, my Emerald Physics OB 3.4s are wingless, but image just fine. MAYBE it’s because the 12" driver has a 1" polyester concentric tweeter. Remote passive XOs are some 2ft away from each speaker. I replaced the CRAP OEM jumpers with Wire World OCC, which by-it-self was HUGE. Speakers are ~ 7ft from my front wall and ~ 9ft on center with a 20-30* inward tilt. My powered 12" subs are 65" behind the speakers