6.5 vs 8 vs 10 woofer

IMHO I think the 8 is the ideal size cone for mid/small sized listening rooms. Even for large size listening rooms. 
The lower mid hz's seem cleaner/clearer. And  there is so little fq's in 905+ of the music we listen to, it seems to me the 8  driver is the most perfect size cone.
A 10 size cone  has the potential to become overwheling, aggressive, attacking when amp gain is pushed just a  tad too much, = Better  volume  control with a  8 vs a 10. 
The 6.5 misses some of that lower bass which a  8 can voice superior. 
After listening to several YT vids with a  10 FR, I had considered going 10, but i think  staying with a  8 avoids regrets. 
I listen at low/mid volume. 

mozartfan
Like just about any audio equipment assessment, the answer to what makes a perfect woofer diameter is: "it depends".
Why the ad hominem attacks on the OP? He's stating an opinion and adding in his personal experiences to support thoughts on the matter. If you wish to refute it, fine but I don't believe there's any reason for name calling. The churlish remarks don't paint one in the finest of ways. And for the record I don't know the OP though I've seen previous posts.
Also, in this case I happen to disagree with him only based on personal experience with a 10" sub. I do agree with several responders that the individual implementation, source material and personal preference would practically dictate which is "best". For my office system the OP recommended 8" woofer suffices nicely whereas the 10" of my full system would be overkill.

In any case, I suggest a bit more civility ladies and gentlemen. There's simply not enough of it in the world IMHO.
Happy listening.
Very odd that high sensitivity speakers never really took off in popularity. In my limited experience , wide band high sens is the only speakers that exist. 
xover things are deleted permanently in my book.
WEll perhaps the SET amplifiers may have beena  road block, as most are very heafty and very expensive back through the years. 
And no doubt this was the issue.
Now SET's can be found relatively low price + new developments in high sens, wide band, seems to me the future will go that direction. 
So far the 91 sens Diatone plays quite nicely witha  PP 100 watt. 
Next test will be the 94 sensitivuty wide band. 
has anyone here paired a  high sens speaker with a  100 watt PP amplifier?
Did the magnet heat up?
Was there issues with vol control on preamp? 
That is at 9 oclock vol, was there too much gain  for the driver?
In any case, I suggest a bit more civility ladies and gentlemen. There's simply not enough of it in the world IMHO.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Appreciate the back support
But this is Audiogon, a  few snides here and there, is all part of the discussion. 
Just so long as  the  mud slinging does not get out of hand to fist swinging.
This new high sensitivuty speaker is all brand new to me. 
I was studiously looking over FR back a  year ago,  but until one has the actual experience of hooking 1 up to the amplifier in real time, then the whole thing becomes clearly apparent. 
I havea  feeling the Defy will have to go adios. And look for a  SET, perferably mono blocks. 
I'm done lifting amplifiers over say 50 lbs. 
The Defy is at 70+ lbs. 
Mozartfan,

Most of the speakers up to the early 1960's were high efficiency speakers.  In those days the speaker were quite large in size.  But, when stereo came along and television sets were also populating living rooms, it became important that speakers become much smaller in size.  The "air suspension" (sealed box) speaker came along to solve that problem.  These speakers were inefficient, but, solid state electronics came along that offered higher power in practical packaging.  

There has been a small revival in higher efficiency speakers and lower-powered amps, but, it remains a boutique community because the rest of the world places higher priority on small size (you can just plop the speaker on any table), portability, etc. and sound quality hardly matters that much.