Sending a 110 lb amp to the manufacturer for cleaning/calibration. Good idea? How to ship?

Hi All,

So I reached out to Simaudio as my amp (Simaudio Moon Titan HT200 5 channel) is getting a bit long in the tooth. It performs truly flawlessly and is just beautiful and barely even gets warm after running all day long. I was just more curious than anything about lifespan, etc. Simaudio replied right away. They said all the units they'd manufactured since 2001 are still "active". However they did recommend sending it to them (if I could be without it for a few weeks) for "cleaning and calibration".  

Couple of things, I can't even go 1 day without this unit. But beyond that just the thought of packing this thing up and shipping literally makes me cringe. I'd certainly pay extra if there was some way to avoid UPS/FedEx or any other means like that. Any recommendations and have any of you ever done something like this?

Would appreciate any advice. Thanks all in advance...
kingbr
I received a 93 pound amp via FedEx, no issues, sent in my 70 pound trade in the same way.
In both cases, original packing and double boxed, clearly marked.  If you don't have the original packaging, the idea of getting advice from manufacturer a good one: maybe they can send you boxes.
I had a bad experience when someone sent me an amp via UPS -- face plate of amp looked like it had been hit by an axe. UPS came out took pictures, and disappeared.  I won't use them now, and have had good luck with FedEx, but jayrossi had bad luck with FedEx.
So, maybe on a pallet with freight company is safest.  I shipped a pair of speakers that totaled #300 with Bax Global that way.  Went smoothy, and I thought the $300 cost reasonable-- interfacing with such outfits can be a bit less user friendly than the usual suspects, though.
Hi Folks,

GREAT advice - thank you All for taking the time to respond!

@jayrossi13 even if Fed Ex (UPS is every bit as bad) offered to come pick it up and ship for free I wouldn't do it, LOL!

@oldhvymec great call. I will either go freight and wrap/strap/pack the pi$$ out of it, or road trip depending on where they are. I'm waiting to hear back from them on this. That would actually be my first choice! And thanks great call reaching out to Simaudio and asking for a shipping carton. I do have the original box and packing but at this point it's like a Rubik's Cube to put back together and I just don't want to play with that.

Christ the thought of disconnecting, packing, shipping and most of all being without this for weeks is giving me pause. I know it'd be worth it but damn! 
First I would go up to the attic or wherever you stored all your original packing. Look it over real good. Are all the cardboard corners in perfect condition? Styrofoam? All the plastic and stuff? Great.

Imagine all the work getting the amp back in that box packed up all nice and perfect like it was when you brought it home.

Then go back down to your listening room, home theater, whatever you call it where the amp is now. Bend over and pick it up. Just an inch or so. Just enough to aggravate your sciatica without totally blowing a disk. Grab a chair, kick back, give this a good long think.

It works fine. Not hardly even a speck of dust on the outside. Even less inside. Not one damn thing to "calibrate". $500 shipping round trip. The Percocet you need for your back after loading it up. The Xanax you need after filing the damage claim. The delays. Not being able to enjoy music or movies for a solid month. Having to deal with emails and phone calls, all the reasons and excuses why it is not done when it was supposed to be, why even the manufacturer can’t find the part, how FedEx managed to lose it. Where you are gonna find another one now?

Give yourself a good ten, fifteen minutes to ponder all this. Pour yourself a nice tall adult beverage. Sit down at the keyboard. Write Millercarbon a really nice heartfelt Thank You for talking you out of this boondoggle of a a bad idea.
For once, I agree with MC. Who would have thought?   Take whatever money you were going to waste sending it back to Sim Audio and either save it, donate it or buy more new music.  If it ain’t broke, don’t fix it.