The Absurdity of it All

50-60-70 year old ears stating with certainty that what they hear is proof positive of the efficacy of analog, uber-cables, tweaks...name your favorite latest and greatest audio "advancement." How many rock concerts under the bridge? Did we ever wear ear protection with our chain saws? Believe what you will, but hearing degrades with age and use and abuse. To pontificate authority while relying on damaged goods is akin to the 65 year old golfer believing his new $300 putter is going to improve his game. And his game MAY get better, but it is the belief that matters. Everything matters, but the brain matters the most.
jpwarren58
People need to have their hearing tested and measured and report the certified results here. Then one can rightfully claim golden ears and tell others what they may be missing. Any age. Until then.....

In all seriousness, an old guy is way way way more unlikely to hear what a young guy hears.   That folks is a scientifically  established fact.  Those are so inconvenient sometimes!    So just take that into consideration when advising others. Maybe that’s why its mostly all old guys in the club here.
Strange and flawed premise. It should read something like:
Isn’t it amazing that those who’ve had their ears in this game for most of their lives can still call it correctly when something is better or amiss?

And, does that indicate that the ear-brain relationship operates on a level that we have yet to fully understand? Could it be that there’s more computational operations going on behind the curtain than perviously thought?

That would be a better starting point than a gripe.

All the best,
Nonoise
I have to admit we all need to take a look at our selves in the mirror and acknowledge that we are all in deed getting older ( average audiophile age is above 50 now) and we cannot hear all the things we used to regardless of perceived experience. if you have not had your hearing tested recently I'd suggest you do, you may be surprised at how much you have lost, or surprised at what you have not. regardless above 50 your not hearing what you used to period. doesn't mean its bad, or not enjoyable, etc. just facts. facts seem to be missing more often then not on here lately. 
At my age (74 now), and pretty bad Tinnitus, I can still hear improvements in my system, I've got a new amp, preamp, and a new (better) cartridge, I could quite easily hear the improvements in the upgrade in sound quality.

I enjoy my system now more than ever.

Regards,
Dan
I apologize if my post appears to be a futile "gripe." Realistic appraisal of old ears and what they can and cannot hear. Not taking that into account AND then espousing true doctrine and ridiculing the measurement gang. Not exactly entertaining perspective. 
(I never saw anyone wearing ear protection at any rock concerts or car races until just recently. My first rock concert was 1971, Deep Purple or Elton John. Memory cells gone the way of my hearing.) Joe
More to discover