preamp recommendation for bedroom set amp

Hi,

I am using a 20 watt art jota set amp in my bedroom system which uses a digital marantz 10N universal player via rca IC and reference 3a episode (efficient 92db) speakers.

while the art jota has volume control I think would get better sound still with a preamplifier. I would also like to have a remote and a headphone jack in the preamp.

can someone recommend a preamp for a set amp ideally with a remote and headphone jack but not required.

thanks

Michael
128x128karmapolice
@karmapolice,
I took my 300b SET (Coincident Frankenstein mono blocks) to a friend’s home to hear in his system. We used his LTA Micro Z OTL MZ2 (With linear power supply and 6SN7 tubes)  as the preamplifier. Absolutely zero issues and the pairing had very good sound quality. I can’t foresee any potential problems with your Art Audio Jota SET (Very nice amplifier BTW).
Charles
soix:

What experience do you have mating preamps to DH/SET amps?

I had difficulty finding one for an Audion Silver Night 300B DHT/SET in that all tried diminished the positive attributes of the amp with it's simple ALPS volume pot.

Diminished enough that they were a no-go.

Good DH/SET amps are special and can be easily screwed up with poor matings.

DeKay
I was going to try the linear tube audio when I can find one secondhand as it would provide me a preamp and a headphone amp and a remote for volume.

I am not in a rush where I am gonna buy it new.....
hey, I am the new importer for Art Audio.  The Jota is a lovely amp.  We encourage you to look at very low gain with a tube stage for pairing with the any of our SETs.  The volume control is just a volume POT in a passive stage.  

The recommended preamp from Art Audio would be the Conductor Simply 2 which lists for $5500.  

I second the Conductor Simply 2 recommendation. We replaced our Joule Electra LA300ME (a very nice preamp) with a Simply 2 and the difference is startling. The Joule is darker, warmer, whereas the Simply 2 has a more detailed, more refined & clearer sound. Paired with the Art Audio PX25, the Simply 2 moves vocalists & singers out into the room front & center; with noticeably more midrange detail. Individual notes are better defined. Price has increased to $7999 at this writing, still quite a bargain considering its sonic qualities.