New Stereo Times review on CODA CSiB Integrated Amplifier

My fellow Stereo Times staff reviewer, Richard Willie, has written a superlative review on the Coda CSiB Integrated that has just been posted on the website. Richard does a great job of describing the new "house" sound of this generation of Coda gear, an excellent analysis of the world class build quality of Coda gear, and a very interesting comparison of the Coda CSib to the Pass Labs XA-30.8. A fun read!

amorstereo
Well arafiq,

I guess you don't trust me because I'm a professional reviewer! With all due respect, I can accept that. I have had the great pleasure of reviewing the Coda #8 & #16 amplifiers and the 07X preamplifier. I purchased the #16 and 07x to use in my big reference system. 

As you you go up the Coda line each step gives you more refinement and "spit and polish" on the house sound. Doug and Eric, with this generation of gear, has produced some of the quietest, grainless, and detailed solid state gear on the market, regardless of price. However, these details are presented in an effortless, musical fashion and does not become analytical or in your face.They still retained the overall dynamics and bottom-end control that Coda always had because of their massive over built power supplies and current loading abilities.

By the way the CSib does not have the 07x preamp as it's linestage. It uses the smaller "baby brother" preamp as its control section. This preamp is still terrific, I have heard it, and gives you about 80% of the performance of the reference and much more expensive $6,500 07x preamplifier. The amplifier is the equal of the #8 single chassis piece.

All of these Coda pieces are beautifully built and our great performers at their price points, in my opinion they actually compete with much more expensive gear, but as you go up in the line there are differences that you can hear.

By the way, something wacky has taken place regarding me posting as Teajay, as I have for over 15 years. Therefore, I started this thread and post under the name Amorstereo, but it's me, Terry London, and I now review for StereoTimes website as most of you Gon members know because I always enjoyed sharing information on great products at reasonable costs.

I agree, based on personal experience (except I have not yet heard the No. 16), with everything the evil reviewer Terry has said.
The reason I went with the CODA CSiB in the first place was because of the discussions that started after Terry's reviews. I did not think my audio preferences align with what Terry likes but I wanted to check it out. Glad I did because it gave me options that I did not consider before. Though I always was aware of CODA.

Last night after 3 hours of very late night RAAL SR1a listening with music that can be fatiguing (on purpose) I came to the conclusion that the KRELL K-300i has to stick around. The KRELL K-300i + Audio Mirror Tubadour III SE + RAAL SR1a is a phenomenal combo. The buttery smoothness of the KRELL and the bass power are exactly what I need on the SR1a. Unfortunately, in the short term, I now will not have funds to buy the CODA #8.

In 2 months when California opens up fully I will head down to my local CODA dealer and listen to the #8 and #16 with the 07x. 

The Gustard X26 Pro DAC that I have been recently raving about will go with the CODA 07x and the Thiel CS3.7 floor standers. A great DAC and it cost $1500 ($1300 on sale).

BTW - Rumor has it that the 07x will get an external power supply in the LONG TERM. If that happens I will get a free upgrade (not sure what  that means) of the 07x to the external power supply. I do not know the details of any of this just pushing the rumor.
I should add that the D-Sonic amp I am now using today on the Thiel CS3.7 sounds good driven DAC direct to amp. I did not like it with the SR1a. It will be better with the CODA 07x but it will be a nice amp to keep around as a backup or hot weather amp.
@amorstereo -- sorry, I didn't realize it's you Teajay :(

In general, I think we have all grown weary of the so-called professional reviewers, so I hope you can understand my initial skepticism. Of course, you are one of the few reviewers whose opinion and expertise is greatly valued and appreciated on this site, and that includes me as well. 

Now that we have it out of the way (phew!), have you had a chance to compare it to Pass Labs integrated amps including INT-25 or 60?