stereo review magazine

any thoughts on the old 'stereo review' magazine!! i've read them since the early 70's to their end!!!
128x128g_nakamoto
"I grew up reading Stereo Review all through the 1970’s and 80’s. Learned a lot reading Stereo Review. Learned a lot about amps, speakers, all the different components. Thought the world of them. Really looked up to some of them like Julian Hirsch."

My experience pretty much mirrors that of millercarbon. One day in the late 80’s, I stumbled into a local shop that had a strange (to me) used equipment section with brands I had never heard of: Audio Research, Conrad Johnson, Acoustat, etc. I was off to the races and never looked back.
Yeah, definitely a mixed bag. Looking back, one of the few things I still like is the way their music reviews would rate the performance and recording. It got you thinking yes indeed these are two distinctly different things. Not talking about their taste in music or any of that, just the fact they were getting you thinking about the difference.   

This kind of makes up for the misinformation about wire and measurements. Oh and another problem, what middlemass mentioned, you could read Stereo Review and never have any idea there was anything out there but the big names. Then go into a shop and find all this strange stuff you never heard of before. Well they have a magazine to sell and ad copy space to sell but you would think they might do a better job informing the readers. Then again maybe not. Stereophile is hardly any different in this regard.  

Well, maybe. Then again maybe not. Haven't seen a copy of any print audiophile mag in so many years I can't even remember!
"Haven't seen a copy of any print audiophile mag in so many years I can't even remember!"

These days, you may find them in the magazine section of Barnes & Noble. Stereophile The Absolute Sound, and a couple more from United Kingdom. I do not think that newspaper stands carry them anymore.
MillCarb -- I still have prince perscriptions to both Stereopile & Absoluto Soundo and I just love 'em. True, I was immensely offended when they went from a Readers Digest mini-mag format to full-on glossies, but I can't throw them out. Too entertaining. Too pretty. The wife is appalled how they pile up in our living quarters.
Never said they are all out of print. Just I haven't seen them. Sheesh. Not like I have time to go looking. I have you all to entertain, practically a full time job all by itself.