Jazz listening: Is it about the music? Or is it about the sound?

The thread title says it all. I can listen to jazz recordings for hours on end but can scarcely name a dozen tunes.  My jazz collection is small but still growing.  Most recordings sound great.  On the other hand, I have a substantial rock, pop and country collection and like most of us, have a near encyclopedic knowledge of it.  Yet sound quality is all over the map to the point that many titles have become nearly unlistenable on my best system.  Which leads me back to my question: Is it the sound or the music?  Maybe it’s both. You’ve just got to have one or the other!
jdmccall56
It sounds like having a limited library perhaps points toward your relying on your CD collection.  If this is the case you might be a great candidate to stream music and get a Tidal subscription for $20 per month.  I have a BlueSound Node 2i and it only costa $550.  I have an OPPORTUNITY 105 and I don’t miss having to get up from my sofa to change the CD.  By having my BlueSound I can now listen to hi-res recordings.  What is also nice about streaming is being able to remain seated and listen to a few songs by some artists and switch over to something else by using my iPhone as a remote.  You are missing out on a being able to hear music from an enormous library.  This expand you taste for jazz.  You can also create a custom play list.  This is handy when having company over.  I have created playlists to create different moods.  This also allows for you to concentrate on your guests.

i haven’t used my CD’s for the past two years.  I personally think CD’s are becoming a thing of the past.  The real game changer is the ability to use such an extensive library.
"I can listen to jazz recordings for hours on end but can scarcely
remember a dozen tunes."

If you can’t remember what you are listening to, either the music is not leaving an impression on you or you are not paying attention to it. I suspect you are multi-tasking with the music in the background and are probably a digital listener. There is nothing wrong with that per se. People listen to and collect music for many different reasons. Some want the best recordings, some want rare or historic content, some collect from a certain era, etc, etc. I don’t have any music in my collection that I don’t like and wouldn’t play. It’s mostly jazz and I can name most any song from any album. I don’t try to intellectualize the music as many do, I just listen and enjoy it on a nice system that allows me to do so.

If I’m auditioning a piece of gear or changing something in the system, I cannot relax until I get everything in synch and singing together. At that time I am listening to the sound of my system. Once everything is satisfactorily tweaked, I'm back to listening to the music.

Money trumps all.
mijostyn circa 3/25/2021

Ain’t that the truth. The above phrase has quite a meaning in today’s times.

One of my favorite record stores have been back open to the public for awhile now and it’s time for me to do some crate digging again. I never knew how meditatively pleasing it was for me until it was taken away. I’m ready for all this melancholy to go away. Oh what covid 19 has wrought. There is a tinge of blues in my post here when there shouldn’t be. But I guess that’s part of music and life.
A good sound help me to better appreciate what is not already my cup of tea...Enlarging my understanding musical scope...

Good music the one i love already dont need good sound but they are a marriage made in heaven anyway and like in a love affair, it is love that matters here not the need first...

My sound is so good now, i even listen nowadays the musical genre i listened to the less in the past : complete opera, because i can now see the singers walking on the theater or singing around me in some particularly good recording job...

It is thanks to my room mechanical equalization, because i has been able to control with it and some others device  the "listener envelopment " acoustical phenomena ...

Good sound help indeed....