Suggestions to upgrade from Lyra Delos

Greetings again folks:

I've done a bunch of tweaking and fiddling with my Thorens TD124 including a new arm (Jeff Spall), Audio Silente bushings and other minor things.  I love my Delos in general, but I feel like it's missing something.  It's very detailed, fast, tight bass, good channel separation and soundstage (in general, feels a bit compressed front to back) but I feel like I'm missing that 'thing.'  Of course it could just be perception on my part, but I don't have much to compare with so that is the intent of this thread.

The rig:

Thorens TD124 Mk1 w/Mk II mods
Jeff Spall (Audiomods UK) Tonearm,v6
Lyra Delos, with Microridge stylus (original, not rebuilt)
Hagerman Audio Labs Trumpet MC (Loaded at 110 Ohms)
Stax SRM-007T Headphone Amp with Stax Lambda Nova Signature headphones

I'd like to stay under $5K as well and would prefer a similar cost to the Delos ($2K) if possible, but willing to invest more in a different experience if that experience is better.

I realize this is a highly subjective ask.  I would appreciate responses from those that have gone from or to a Delos and what you went to / from.  I'm certainly considering the Kleos or a used Etna (if I can find one in the price range) but again, would like to try another direction to experience a broader range of sound signatures.

Thank you, in advance, for any suggestions.

128x128dducat
@larryi 

The other problem is that I don't know what I don't know.  I don't have much experience beyond my Lyra (other than a Denon 103R) since I've gotten back into the hobby after decades of being away from it.  I'm aware of the Dynavector XX-2, but have never heard one.

I certainly don't want to be 'sluggish' and I would not trade detail and speed for 'warmth' and 'sluggish.'   There may not be another option, per se, and I'm ok with that, but I thought I would reach out to this group to see if there were any similar experiences and/or advice which I've gotten a great deal of - so, thank you all for that.
My experience with a Delos ( one time for a client ) is that it is a great cart, however In this instance it wasn't as deep or 'fleshed out' in the bass as some others and this imho is required for a sense of 'richness'.
Dear @dducat : ""   so I don't think it's really the phono preamp (I mean, I guess it could be)  ""

you have a phono stage unit designed/manufactured to a price point and is very good for what you paid for but it's far away of many many phono stages out there.

You need that kind of first hand experiences. Those 5K on target will rewarded the more changing the phono stage, you can look at: Parasound, Ayre, SimsAudio, Sutherland and the like.

The Delos is very good performer and your PS does not honor it.

R.
Quick update - swapped out the cart mounting plate to the heavier 'low compliance' plate and there is a noticeable difference.  I'm going through a series of recordings the see how much there really is, but definitely stronger bass response, wider soundstage (although it was wide before), slightly better space / separation between instruments.  I think the extra mass definitely was a plus, along with some gain tweaking.

I'm still investigating arms, carts, phono preamps, etc.  But this certainly does sound great.
It appears that you have done some trials on "free" or near free set up modifications, many of which can have quite a big impact on the sound.  I hope you have tried changing vertical tracking angle; for example, lowering the arm pivot point will add bass weight to the sound.  I found that the Lyra cartridges I have used are quite sensitive to changes in vertical tracking angle.  I hope you have tried changes in loading as well.  With most tube phono stages, less loading than utilized with solid state phono stages tends to work out well (less loading means HIGHER value of resistance, such as 47k ohm). 

Not so free changes that will really make a difference involve the tubes used in your phono stage.  Telefunken 12AX7 and 12AU7 run the gamut from warm and smooth sounding to lean and very punchy and dynamic; it depends on the specific tube.  I run a lean and dynamic variant (ECC803S) that has become crazy expensive.  You could try other tubes that are known to be on the warmer side (that warmer side is often the "magic" attribute some seek in tube gear).  To me, a pretty safe recommendation that almost always seems to please are Amperex Bugle Boy tubes.

Given that the Delos is quite a nice cartridge, Raul's recommendation that you at least consider a phono stage upgrade is a reasonable suggestion.  I don't know about your Hagerman phono stage, but, I do know that a good phono stage makes quite a difference.