Totem speakers and others that I should consider?

I've liked the Totem speakers for a while, they image very nicely, and while somewhat laid back, not too much so...

I'm looking to put together a new system (starting from scratch), and was thinking about the Totem line (Forests, at first). I listened to Totem at RMAF, and was very impressed with the new Element line, so that has me thinking of those instead. They are a bit more forward compared to the older speakers, but not terribly so, and I think they will not be fatiguing to listen to long-term. I'll have to do a bit more listening to be sure of that.

They image better, and the bass is very deep and controlled.

Anyway, I was thinking about the Totems Fire or Earth speakers (probably the Fire), and I was wondering what other speakers people feel will match up favorably to the Fire? They must be similarly priced, and ultimately similar in size or form-factor (I don't want large cabinets).

My exposure to speakers in the last decade is somewhat limited, but I have heard Sonus Faber, and while I find them very musical, I don't think they match up at the price point, but I don't think I've heard the most recent models.

Recommendations for other speakers I should audition in the $6000 dollar range are appreciated.

---Michael
mjm6
Hi Michael,

If I may express a slightly different opinion about Totem speakers: FOR THE LOVE OF GOD MAN! DON'T DO IT!!!!!!

I have owned the Model 1’s, Mani-2’s (the best of the lot) and the Forests and at first you may like them because they are so revealing. But that is because of the eardrum piercing SEAS metal dome tweeter that they use. Listener fatigue comes quickly with them and the belief is that if you don't like what you are hearing, it is because there is a problem somewhere else in your system. I then find that people work backwards though their stereo to remove anything that they think is making the treble hard and harsh and that usually means trying to “cable down” the speakers using Cardas cable and perhaps removing a good solid state amp and putting in a lower-powered tube amp to round the sound down at the extremes. Because most of the Totems take a lot of power to drive, unless it is a really big (re: expensive) tube amp, the speakers then become lifeless. There is nothing that really can be done that can tame those tweeters. I’m ranting because I have lost money trying to make these speakers work in the past.

If you like the midrange quality that Totems have, simply buy the much more well-balanced Dynaudio equivalent. The Contour 1.1 has way more finesse than the Model 1, the Contour 1.3SE more than the Forest, etc. If you want a speaker that no one I know dislikes, look for a nice pair of used Harbeth Compact 7’s. If you want a speaker with a SEAS tweeter (but a MUCH BETTER SEAS tweeter) buy a pair of Tyler Acoustic speakers. I personally like the Super Towers if you want great imaging. If you want a speaker for a large room, the Tyler Signature System speakers are amazing. There is currently a pair in Chicago for only 2500.00. The drivers alone for that speaker cost 2000.00. If you have a really large room Ty has a used pair of custom speakers that he is selling that have all SEAS Nextel drivers including the very expensive Crescendo tweeter (which is a much, much better tweeter than the aluminum dome SEAS Excel that Totem uses). He is only asking 3200 for that pair and that is likely just a bit more than what the drivers alone cost in that speaker. What I like about Tyler Acoustics is that Tyler is “cooking” with the best ingredients. Totem, not so much. I think that the Forest was a great design when it came out in the mid 90’s but time and speaker driver technology move on.

If you were planning to spend as much as 6K and if you can go used, I would look at Piega speakers, or Vandersteen Quatros, or Green Mountain just to name a few. Kudos also makes a very nice speaker in the C-30. Usher speakers are generally very good as well and like the Tylers, he is using good quality drivers. If you can find them, the WLM speakers (made in Austria) with the Super Pac tweeters are amazing and image like nothing else. I think that there is a pair up for sale on Audiogon for 4500.00 and those would be well worth considering.

Anyway, I hope that I did not offend you or others who like Totem speakers but in my view (as a former 3-pairs-of-Totem-speakers owner) there are so many better choices out there, I would hate to see someone spend that much money and not find a speaker that will consistently make them happy.

PJ
Mjm6...go audition some more speakers. Totem's are awesome, but it doesn't sound like you've spent a lot of time with others. If you don't audition others, you'll be very unhappy in the future. This will also give you a basis of what you might like in the future. Being a new kit, I would purchase brand new from a local dealer and NOT used on Agon. Reason being is that you need a good starting point. Your local dealer should carry lines that work well with each other. You will also help out your community, but most importantly you will have access to a lot more than your purchase. My local shares all his 24 bit, sells cable at cost, invites me to dinner etc. I can go there any time to shoot the bull about music etc. It's the greatest.
Greetings,
I would agree with the last poster regarding working with a dealer. Especially since you are starting from scratch, work with somebody who knows which audio components play well together. Listen with your own ears... this audio thing is so very subjective. Find a SYSTEM that you find immensely pleasing.

If you work with a dealer, he/she should let you demo the system in your own listening room. I think this is critical.

Do you have an overall budget for your new system? What are your listening tastes? Can you describe your room?

BTW, I've enjoyed my Totem speakers for several years now. Be sure to give them a good listen. Many folks agree that each model has a different personality.

Let us know how you make out!
I hate to say, "get what I got!", but since you asked, if you are able, check out a pair of the EgglestonWorks Fontaine IIs. I have the originals, not the IIs, and they are not as laid back as the Totem, but not in your face either - perfectly in-between. Smooth and sublime, with just the right amount of bite. Very true sounding tone.
If you like Totem, you might also like Dynaudio or PSB.

Merlin would be another more esoteric line to consider.

I like Totems and Dynaudio also but OHM Walsh speakers are my choice in general at similar price points. These are omni directional and present music differently, so most have to get used to that. Many who do never look back.