Technics moving all turntable production to Malaysia

I haven’t seen this reported anywhere. Heard it first from a dealer and now have confirmed it with Technics directly:

All turntables, even the SL-1000R, are leaving Japan and moving to a new facility in Malaysia. Everything’s going under one roof. Technics is halted now and they’ll start up the new production line in Malaysia on April 1. 

If the product is the same then that’s what matters most, but this definitely marks the end of an era and I’m sure the reaction will be mixed.
notman
Buy vintage "made in Japan" gear, service at JP Jones lab if needed. 
I like Japanese culture and artisan attitude. I can't imagine myself buying  SL-1000R made in Malaysia.
It's corporate move and in short term it will be profitable.
But it's not about business it's about the soul. 

I am surprised no one else has remarked about it, but there was a time when "Made in Japan" was a common joke and a slur on the product, here in the US, probably for about 10-15 years following the end of WW2, when Japan was trying to get back on its economic feet and also rebuild its shattered infrastructure.  Japanese imports to the US in those days were characterized by tiny cheap facsimiles of the statue of Liberty, made of pot metal.  So, one needs to keep an open mind about quality and where it can come from.
@lewm 

I was born in '51. The "made in Japan" joke stayed around to the early 70's when Toyota & Honda started being imported, IME. Then too, much of Europe  was destroyed and of course 2, big cities in Japan also. Plus their economies were ruined.  They often didn't have the right tools or materials for quality IMO. But craftsmen are in every society. The difference usually comes down to the item they produce and how similar the product you ask them to produce is in their "wheelhouse". There is usually a learning curve.