Technics moving all turntable production to Malaysia

I haven’t seen this reported anywhere. Heard it first from a dealer and now have confirmed it with Technics directly:

All turntables, even the SL-1000R, are leaving Japan and moving to a new facility in Malaysia. Everything’s going under one roof. Technics is halted now and they’ll start up the new production line in Malaysia on April 1. 

If the product is the same then that’s what matters most, but this definitely marks the end of an era and I’m sure the reaction will be mixed.
notman
With Inna on this one.  I own both the new 1200GR (made in Japan) and the 1500C (made in Malaysia).  They are both well made.  Admittedly, it was the 'made in Japan' badge that made me psyched about buying the 1200, among other things.  I like the look of DJ style turntables and new production 1200 TTs meant not having to deal with all the Super OEM knock-offs (Hanpin) that are offered by a dozen or so companies.

Hopefully it all works out.  I remember from 5 or so years ago, Panasonic did a similar move to a new off-shore billion dollar facility with its LCD production and then has been closing down most of its production ever since.

Rich    
Plants in Malaysia have better QC compared to other parts of Asia, except Japan, but still the made in tag cannot be ignored. Cost cutting but product will be the same and biz will continue. Different from making LCD panels, where now you buy from the cheapest vendor.

G
If older 30-40 y.o. (Made in Japan) reference Technics turntable still available used or even NOS then new (Made in Japan) models like SP-10R and SL1200 series will be available for a long time too. They made so many.

Some people are always too late when it come to a good stuff, who cares?

Technics returned even after they stopped turntable manufacturing completely. 

Some of their cheaper new models like 1500 already made in Malaysia

I wonder how this new policy will play out in Japan itself, where there are more audio files per capita than maybe anywhere in the world that I have ever been. They still have stores that are reminiscent of New York City in the 1970s.You can buy an SP10R over the counter in some of their very large Department stores.