Is my anti-skating too strong.

I’m trying to adjust the alignment of the Ortofon Black Quintet cartridge on my Music Hall mmf 9.3 turntable.  When I put the stylus down on the alignment protractor, the tone arm pulls to the outer edge of the turntable.   Should I disable anti skating when doing alignment or is it set too strong?  Obviously haven’t done this too often.
Also, when listening to the anti skating track on The Ultimate Analogue Test LP, there is noticeable distortion at the end of the track which indicates too much or too little anti skating.  Any guidance here?
udog
i remember back in the early 70's my first turntable was a gerrard zero 100! when i would cue it, the tonearm used to float to the outer side of the record! i guess that was the anti sking force in action!!LOL!!
What we have here is, it seems, that what one WANTS to believe - one WILL believe. 

A case of Cognitive Dissonance - maybe my own? 

Speaking from experience MC is correct that point A the stylus tip to point B the fulcrum of the tonearm bearing (horizontally) plus the overhang will create the skating force/pull to the centre of the record, the spindle. 
A case of basic geometry -. 

Either hokey stick, S shape, or straight tone-arm makes no difference in the equation.
At all. 

Now, to damage a blank record by skating over it, you will need the kind of VTA and a steel needle of some old Victrola Phonograph - not a VTF of max 2.5 gram, my take.

Maybe a damaged stylus will do at 5 + gram VTF...?!? 😏 

BTW, I own an old DECCA test record with such a damaged blank section, which surely was caused by what I suggested above. 

Lastly, yes the idea of the cantilever deflection observation 'can' work, so long the compliance is reasonably/pretty high - and the tone-arm has at least some sort of lateral damping - or a slightly stiff(ish) horizontal arm bearing? 

At 16 cu (compliance units) and below, one will hardly notice any permanent defection.
At 20 - 40 cu it will be visible and can/could be used to set the anti-skate force...

This includes to watch out for the cantilever 'squiggle' when the stylus/cantilever/cartridge/headshell/tone-arm (avoiding more cognitive dissonance) is lowered by a damped arm-lift into the start groove. 

Happy listening 🎶 

M. 🇿🇦 

Pointless threads always the longest on audiogon.

Some people never heard about TEST RECORDS like Hi-Fi NEWS TEST LP, because there are special tracks for bias setting. But, check, it’s very simple.

Some decent cartridges designed to track well at 1 - 1.5g tracking force, in this situation, especially with advanced profiles, the anti-skating force is so little like 0.5 - 0.75 

Skating forces come from overhang. Period.    Wrong again MC, and a couple of other posts.  Skating forces can be inward or outward.

I think we are all agreed:
1.  There is no skating force, = side force, at a null point, and 
2.  There is an inward skating force when the stylus overhangs a null point.

So, guess what the force is when the stylus underhands a null point.
(ten marks).