Piano Notes On Harbeth SHL 5

Hi

I heard this speaker recently and the slightly rolled off highs are pleasant to listen to on most recordings. However, one thing seemed to bother me - piano notes seem fat and thick. This seems in contrast to more neutral speakers like Dynaudio where the treble is more extended, rendering piano notes more crisp. I have had people say to me though that they thought the tone of the piano sounded more natural and real on the Harbeth's, so is it only me and do real pianos sound that thick?
mikey8811
Sometimes when I hear a real piano it sounds brighter and livelier than I expect and sometimes it sounds about what I imagine.

I think I expect more heft to the sound than is normally there so I am biased.

fwiw the sort of tonal balance you describe is easily swayed by cable and component matching you may need to go into 'tweek mode' - and good luck with that!
If it doesn't sound natural, then by definition, it isn't. Only you can decide what is natural.

The piano is very difficult to reproduce on a stereo. I would never describe a real piano as sounding thick, regardless of manufacturer. The upper frequencies of a piano have a distinct clear and sweet sound, almost like a bell.
For box speakers, the quality of the speaker enclosures and drivers will pretty much dictate how piano tones and timbre will be reproduced. The Harbeth seems to lean more to the sound as you've described in most system, rich and warm pleasant tone.
Although speakers will dictate how piano notes would sound like, factors such as quality of recording and ancillary equipment play a part as well. Piano notes will sound "fat and thick" on the Harbeth if comparison is made with leaner or more precise speakers with extended high frequencies such as Dynaudios, Revels etc. It is difficult to ascertain which sound is more accurate, neutral or natural as everyone has their own benchmark.

May I ask what amps are hooked up to the SHL5 when piano sounded "fat and thick"? The Harbeths are inherently warm and organic sounding speakers with smooth highs, and a warm and smooth amp may just exacerbate things.
Hi

Thanks for the replies so far.

The recording is of the Keith Jarrett Trio on "Up For It" - Live in Juan-les-Pins. I looked at the liner notes to see what piano it was ;) - they sometimes say but not the case here. They did mention that there was rain onstage and leakage causing Gary Peacock's bass to be water affected and the piano to be waterlogged.

But triviality aside, I have liked the Harbeth's so far on many Blue Note quartet and quintet recordings where trumpets are usually too biting and the bass notes do reveal the different textures although they are not as tight as on the Dyn's that I was surprised to not be equally impressed by piano trio recordings. Hell, I even thought they sounded fine on US3's "Hand On The Torch" too even without the bass slam.

But rock, now that is a different matter...

Ryder, the amp was a Krell FPB 200 driven by a Cary SLP 05 - that is a neutral amp so I cannot presume that it imparted much warmth.