Looking for a new phono preamp

Hi,

Long time lurker, first time poster.

Here's the deal. I'd like to find a new phono preamp. I'd prefer solid state, tubes get noisy too fast. My latest cartridge is an AT-ART9XA. I'm currently running thru a sut into a cj pv10a with phono stage, but I have just got my hands on a Bel Canto pre5 that the new phono pre will be paired with.

I've got a hard upper limit of $2.5k, less is OK for the right unit. I'm looking to buy new. Dealers around me aren't really set up to demo vinyl, so I'm hoping the collective experience in here can at least point me in the right direction. Hopefully, it would have a one month return policy so I can try out the preamp.

TIA.

PsychoicReaction
psychoticreaction
i run an art 9 (among other lomc’s), feel same way as you that i prefer ss phono stage for low noise, drive and linearity, and i put tubes downstream in the chain to get that goodness

for ss phono stages, i have been through 10-12 in my time, my favorites are the ayre p5xe, and the upper lehmann audio units... great great sound for (fairly) reasonable $

tried chord huei, musical surroundings, sutherlands, tom evans, rega, ps audio among others... kept the ayre and lehmann
mijostyn,

I would not want to buy a phono stage that severely limits the cartridges I could use with it in the way your suggestion would.  For me, the  Channel D Lino C 2.0 would be a total waste of my time and my money.
Gold Note is very nice, indeed. Flexible with gain and loading impedance settings. PSU is a nice bonus. I like this combo, but I think it’s a bit bass shy. 
I love it when a member says that something is the best with no competition as if they have heard every product available.