How does Donald Fagen do it?

It seems, to my ears, that Donald Fagen is able to get an amazing sound out of a mixing board, much better than other producers can.  I have read that he is a perfectionist and uses extreme attention to detail when in the studio.  Do you notice the same thing in his recordings?  A shout out to the late Walter Becker too.
128x128mikeydee
reubent, yes I graduated from DAAP but my grandparents met at the college of music before the college and the conservatory merged.
@goofyfoot ....thanks for the recommendation. The older one is going to major in psychology...or at least that is what his passion is (for now!). He is exploring this as a foundation for law school. The younger one is starting to follow my foot steps into engineering. I have seen both improvising on music they like to play...and that was awesome...when you see them light up, practice music they want to play, and improvise over the top.  The sparkles of creativity start to shine and not just accept what is just handed to you. Priceless.  

I, on the other hand, will eventually sign up for the Berklee School of Music online! I have no intent of changing my career at this late juncture, but i am really passionate about jazz. I took my ABRSM Level 3 piano exam a couple of years ago (I am well over 50 years old) and passed with distinction! Crazy trying to memorize 3 songs, orally echo back notes played to you by the examiner, play on demand melodic and harmonic scales! What was I thinking?! But sadistically intrigued by the torture.
Since the pandemic started I have been working out in the mornings
while listening to "Alive in America."  Nothing else will do!
Hate steely and his nasaly, annoying voice. I wish Dan would sing. Dan always takes the back seat to Steely. Poor feller. 
stuogawa, I have some friends that attended Berkeley in Boston. My old pianist from a jazz trio I played in when I was junior high went on to Berkeley after high school. Berkeley a little easier to get into than Juilliard or CCM but their playing skills are right on. Plus Berkeley is a big school and so there are more opportunities to play in ensembles. The thing about jazz and popular music is that being able to transcribe four part Mozart piano sonatas isn’t really important. Some conservatory graduates over think jazz. It’s really about listening not thinking.