Von Schweikert VR-33

Can anyone who has actually heard them offers some feedback on there sonic traits? I have speakers which I really love in a well thought out, emotional system, but recent room layout changes have reignited an ongoing speaker placement battle which I'm growing quite tired of.

The thought of placing these things a foot or less away from the wall without concerns about toe or anything like that is exteremly appealing.

Anyone with ACTUAL experience, please share your thoughts. I'd rather this thread not dissolve into crap like the prior vr33 thread.
gopher
My preferences are pretty set and I frequently find myself dissenting from the majority in terms of gear preferences. I'm not worried about tainting the water but am quite curious as to what I might expect.

I'm also prettying concerned about my amps ability to drive them. I have a Decware Torii 3 I'm not ready to let go of but it puts out 26wpc and, though I've read some favorable things with 35watts, VSA seems to recommend a minimum of 50...

I guess time will tell.
If the 33 is anything like my former VR4 Jr, then it will want at least 100 watts for maximum output performance. That is not to say your amp won't work though because it might sound great at low to moderate... maybe even slightly loud volumes... so if you listen like a "normal" person, then it could be great. You may want to just keep a solid state amp in the closet for those days you want to rock out at insane volumes.
I have VR-33s. I have them 9" from the wall, which is a very nice thing indeed. In truth, I wouldn't have bought them if they had to be placed out away from the room, there just isn't space in my modest house.

Sonically, I like them very much and have no plans to change...maybe ever. I moved up to these from the VR-2, and they retain the same house sound, just have more of it in all facets.

Really, I haven't seen anything out there in the reviews that I would quibble with. They have a soundstage that fills the room, and are wonderful with live music tracks. Highs are extended and detailed without being harsh or etched (something I can't stand). Very natural mids, no coloration that I have noticed. Deep, full bass that can shake the house if desired. During the break in process the last nit I had to pick was a hint of tubbiness in the upper bass, but that is gone now. They are quite dynamic too.

They are just happy, natural-sounding, full-range speakers. I am completely satisfied with them.
I completely second Bigswede's comments. In spite of their close to the wall placement, the speakers have the ability to completely disappear within the soundstage.
I'm effortlessly driving mine with a vintage Marantz 8B p-p EL34 tube amp, about 35 watts/ch. The VR-33's are dynamic, musical, fullrange and non-fatiguing.
I initially set them up without spikes, moved them around a few inches week by week until I found the placement where they disappeared and bass/mid integration was optimal. Since installing the spikes I have not touched them. I've had no issues whatsoever. I think they are a screaming bargain and I'm sure I'll be keeping them for life.
So you buy a pair of speakers that you've never heard, and want to pair them with an amp that you are pretty sure won't drive them? Do you see anything at all wrong with this picture?

Shakey