First Watt SIT-3 preamp pairing advice

Hi There,

I have Nelson Pass's First Watt SIT-3 power amplifier. I am using a ~15 year old VAC (Valve Amplification Company) Standard Preamplifier with NOS Telefunken 12AU7 and 12AX7 tubes for the 2 stages. I am looking to upgrade the preamp and am considering the Passlab XP-12 or the Linear Tube Audio MicroZotl MZ3 preamp. My impression is that both preamps are fairly popular when pairing with First Watt amps. Anyone here have paired both these preamps with the SIT-3 and can provide impressions that might help me decide? If there is 3rd option that you like very much, I am all ears too. Thanks in advance for any advice.

Andrew
longinc
The Supratek is a great match for the SIT-3. I had the Cabernet DHT/6SN7 model, which has high gain. The gain is also adjustable, which is great for really dialing in the sound and getting rid of idle hiss on high sensitivity speakers. 

What are your speakers?

I use the LTA MZ2 to drive my SIT-3 with superb results. Very good synergy between these two units. The MZ2 is not a gain monster but I have no problem driving the SIT-3 to a happy place. The SIT-3 really showcases the unique blend of tube liquidity and solid state speed that the LTA units offer.

I also have a Don Sachs Model 2 that I use with the SIT-3. The Sachs sounds very good, but in my system I prefer the MZ2 paired with the SIT-3. The Sachs unit is more romantic sounding and has more tube character, but I miss the bass and clarity I achieve with the MZ2-SIT3 combo.

Edited to note that I didn’t read closely enough to see you were asking about directly comparing the MZ3 with the Pass pre; I haven’t heard the Pass; sorry about that.
Thanks @jayrossi13 for your input. My speakers are a Chapman T7 (4 ohm, 89db sensitivity). My moderate sensitive speakers is giving me a little pause because the other options i am considering (linear tube audio and pass labs are ~10db gain). Did you consider others and how did you land on the Supratek Cabernet?  
@zm thanks for your input. I read good things about the LTA MZ2 and MZ3 pairings with the SIT-3. Like you i do like clarity, transparency, speed, timbral accuracy of the SIT-3. Tad bit of tube bloom is fine but too much not so (which i assume is what you were experiencing with the Don S). Hence i was leaning the way of the MZ3, but wasn't sure given its ~10db gain and my speakers are 89db sensitive. I don't listen loud but my current preamp's gain is 24db and my knob is usually (depending on the recording) between 930am and 1130am. What speakers are you using with this setup?