First Watt SIT-3 preamp pairing advice

Hi There,

I have Nelson Pass's First Watt SIT-3 power amplifier. I am using a ~15 year old VAC (Valve Amplification Company) Standard Preamplifier with NOS Telefunken 12AU7 and 12AX7 tubes for the 2 stages. I am looking to upgrade the preamp and am considering the Passlab XP-12 or the Linear Tube Audio MicroZotl MZ3 preamp. My impression is that both preamps are fairly popular when pairing with First Watt amps. Anyone here have paired both these preamps with the SIT-3 and can provide impressions that might help me decide? If there is 3rd option that you like very much, I am all ears too. Thanks in advance for any advice.

Andrew
longinc
Post removed 
The Supratek is a great match for the SIT-3. I had the Cabernet DHT/6SN7 model, which has high gain. The gain is also adjustable, which is great for really dialing in the sound and getting rid of idle hiss on high sensitivity speakers. 

What are your speakers?

I use the LTA MZ2 to drive my SIT-3 with superb results. Very good synergy between these two units. The MZ2 is not a gain monster but I have no problem driving the SIT-3 to a happy place. The SIT-3 really showcases the unique blend of tube liquidity and solid state speed that the LTA units offer.

I also have a Don Sachs Model 2 that I use with the SIT-3. The Sachs sounds very good, but in my system I prefer the MZ2 paired with the SIT-3. The Sachs unit is more romantic sounding and has more tube character, but I miss the bass and clarity I achieve with the MZ2-SIT3 combo.

Edited to note that I didn’t read closely enough to see you were asking about directly comparing the MZ3 with the Pass pre; I haven’t heard the Pass; sorry about that.