General question on Carbon fiber tonearms versus aluminum

Is it my imagination or is it real?  In a very general sense, do Carbon fiber tonearms sound a bit better than the aluminum tubes?   I am not sure but if I was a betting man, I would put money on the carbon fiber tubes.   Any comments here?

I'd especially like to hear from folks who have had both on their turntables or who have owned both just not at the same time.

Thanks!
128x128spatialking
I'm not sure that either aluminum or carbon fiber is inherently better than the other, but magnesium is certainly one of the best materials for a pickup arm - such as is used by SME and Technics on some of their arms.
Clearly, it is that way with bicycle frames, it is far, far easier to make a frame stiff in one direction and flexible in another with CF, or make it a more comfortable ride with less vibration than say AL or even steel.  
Not exactly apples to apples...

You might want to look at this video:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Lb4ktAbmr_4
Since this is only a matter of opinion, I would offer my opinion that I have not found most carbon fiber pieces to be good for verisimilitude in my audio systems. In particular, that has been true of the very few carbon fiber tonearms I have heard. They have tended to produce a sound that seems overdamped, lacking in dynamics. However, they have tended to cover up certain kinds of flaws in certain LPs, and make them sound “good”. But not great.
First post from testpilot gets it right. Carbon fiber done right will beat aluminum done right. The inherent vibration control properties of carbon fiber are simply superior. The key however is to do it right. Carbon fiber fabrication has been around a while now but still nowhere near as long as aluminum. This gives aluminum a big edge in terms of cost of manufacture. At the very leading edge of the high end of course both (all) are pushing the envelope so hard it is all new manufacture. 

That said, take a very successful, accomplished and long history company like Origin Live. They made aluminum tubes for a very long time. When they upgrade models what do they use? Carbon fiber.  

I can make stuff in my shop out of carbon fiber. Got everything you need. Everything except the skill, experience, knowledge, and ability. I can make it- have made it - but not at the level anywhere near professional products. A good example of how you cannot say that something is better simply because it is carbon fiber. It sure could be. But as usual, only one way to know for sure: go and listen. You will see.
Any carbon arm I ever listened to was sounding clinical and boring at the end of day. I know all the conversations about it but I never heard any sonic advantage compared to other regular arms. Even getting them for free I would not listen with those. But, each his own.