Shopping for new speakers-need ideas... Selling old DQ-10's...

As I get older my Dahlquist DQ-10’s are simply too bright and give me an earache. I’ve tried different amps so that is not the issue. I just bought a Marantz PM-KI Ruby amp to pair with them. They sound great, but after some time the ear issue comes up.  However, I am looking for new speakers to match with my new amp. These are my desires:

-Not as bright as my Dahlquist DQ-10’s, but not as distant sounding as my Aerial 6s. I do like speakers on the warm side nowdays, but not muddy of course

-Great separation of sound so you catch the detail

-Bass not too punchy as I’ve always had ear trouble with this

-I love midrange

-I don’t like too sharp highs anymore unfortunately

-I love an open sound even airy sound.

What I may be describing is something that is between the DQ-10s and the Aerial 6s. Not in my face, but not behind a wall sounding like the Aerials. Something smooth yet with texture and good separation.

I always loved the phased array design of the DQ-10s and my DQ-8s since I have had since 1993. They are open and airy with tons of soundstage potential.

I listen to a variety of music from ‘60’s and 70’s folk to ‘90’s hard rock like Collective Soul. I’m a 70’s guy and love classic rock, but I lean in the Steely Dan direction. I love progressive rock like Rush and Emerson, Lake and Palmer. I’m also fond of Sade and similar artists in that genre. Jazz is an occasional venture to the likes of Joshua Redman and older stuff like Ramsey Lewis.

Now that I have this magnificent Marantz amp I’m ready to pair them with something that is more of a fit with it and my now limited ears. Earaches suck when you are trying to enjoy some music. This is a lot better now with the Marantz amp, but I still feel a slight ache at medium volumes.

I’ve watched a lot of YouTube videos reviews and I’ve started reading some things.

My budget is $3,000 or less. Hopefully less...

Any recommendations are greatly appreciated.
georgethedog
I'm a huge Steely Dan fan, too. I've listened to a lot of their music as I auditioned speakers. Given your question and parameters, I recommend Fritz Speakers, either the Carbon 7 or the Carreras. Either will wind up close to your $3k mark. I made a brief video review of the Carreras, here: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Hn3h3Tk6PzE&feature=youtu.be

In the description of that video are links to two longer, print, reviews done here in Audiogon. The Carbons have that nice silk dome tweeter with gentle treble. Carreras are more detailed but I don’t find them harsh. Fritz is easy to talk to and work with, and typically allows a trial period.
You may want to look into Spatial Audio open baffle speakers. I used to own the DQ-20's and now own the Spatial Audio M4 Triode Master. They check all the boxes for the type of sound you described. New speakers are over your budget but used ones can be had for less.

I second the idea of getting rid of the piezo tweeter. DQ-10’s were my first high end speakers. After also having a issue with the highs I upgraded the crossover with better caps and swapping out the piezo to Decca ribbons. This upgrade took the speakers to a much higher level. I loved them so much that when the upgrade bug hit me I just stacked them with another pair of DQ’10s. I kept them for over 10 years—longer then any other high end speaker I have owned. The Decca ribbons are no longer being made, but I would suggest you look into other brands and upgrade the the crossovers as well, at their age they probably need new caps anyway.

I had the DQ-10's new for many years.  yes they can be on the bright side but I have a certain fondness for them.  Some have suggested reworking the speaker but I think that may take you down a rabbit hole that may become expensive due to replacing other parts.  I would also suggest looking at speakers with silk dome tweeters.  Perhaps a used pair so you can really upgrade your sound.

Look for used Tannoy Prestige Series, like Sterling or Turnberry. They fit your criteria’s perfectly. Don’t buy any other speaker unless you listen to Tannoy’s otherwise you will back here in no time asking for recommendations.