Shopping for new speakers-need ideas... Selling old DQ-10's...

As I get older my Dahlquist DQ-10’s are simply too bright and give me an earache. I’ve tried different amps so that is not the issue. I just bought a Marantz PM-KI Ruby amp to pair with them. They sound great, but after some time the ear issue comes up.  However, I am looking for new speakers to match with my new amp. These are my desires:

-Not as bright as my Dahlquist DQ-10’s, but not as distant sounding as my Aerial 6s. I do like speakers on the warm side nowdays, but not muddy of course

-Great separation of sound so you catch the detail

-Bass not too punchy as I’ve always had ear trouble with this

-I love midrange

-I don’t like too sharp highs anymore unfortunately

-I love an open sound even airy sound.

What I may be describing is something that is between the DQ-10s and the Aerial 6s. Not in my face, but not behind a wall sounding like the Aerials. Something smooth yet with texture and good separation.

I always loved the phased array design of the DQ-10s and my DQ-8s since I have had since 1993. They are open and airy with tons of soundstage potential.

I listen to a variety of music from ‘60’s and 70’s folk to ‘90’s hard rock like Collective Soul. I’m a 70’s guy and love classic rock, but I lean in the Steely Dan direction. I love progressive rock like Rush and Emerson, Lake and Palmer. I’m also fond of Sade and similar artists in that genre. Jazz is an occasional venture to the likes of Joshua Redman and older stuff like Ramsey Lewis.

Now that I have this magnificent Marantz amp I’m ready to pair them with something that is more of a fit with it and my now limited ears. Earaches suck when you are trying to enjoy some music. This is a lot better now with the Marantz amp, but I still feel a slight ache at medium volumes.

I’ve watched a lot of YouTube videos reviews and I’ve started reading some things.

My budget is $3,000 or less. Hopefully less...

Any recommendations are greatly appreciated.
georgethedog
I think MartinLogan ElectroMotion ESL speakers would be a great option in your price range.  They are dipoles so will give you that open and airy stage you’re used to, and I find their treble to be nicely detailed but never harsh or forward sounding with very clear and present mids.  A potential plus is they’re carried by Best Buy (along with Marantz) so if you have one of those you can give them a good listen.  Best of luck. 
Have you ever thought about replacing the tweeters?  
I had DQ-10’s and the first thing I did was replace the tweeters with Decca ribbon tweeters.  They were the best I found at the time and they made a huge difference!

All the best.

JD
I've had my ADS 1230s for over 37 years with nary an ear ache in all that time.  Most of the ADS models employ soft dome tweeters and mid ranges. They're open and airy, with great imaging and resolution. All the ones on the market are used, of course, most of them, even the top L-series, priced way below your budget. 
I'm a huge Steely Dan fan, too. I've listened to a lot of their music as I auditioned speakers. Given your question and parameters, I recommend Fritz Speakers, either the Carbon 7 or the Carreras. Either will wind up close to your $3k mark. I made a brief video review of the Carreras, here: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Hn3h3Tk6PzE&feature=youtu.be

In the description of that video are links to two longer, print, reviews done here in Audiogon. The Carbons have that nice silk dome tweeter with gentle treble. Carreras are more detailed but I don’t find them harsh. Fritz is easy to talk to and work with, and typically allows a trial period.
You may want to look into Spatial Audio open baffle speakers. I used to own the DQ-20's and now own the Spatial Audio M4 Triode Master. They check all the boxes for the type of sound you described. New speakers are over your budget but used ones can be had for less.