The Tragic Decline of Music Literacy (and Quality)

128x128sejodiren
For the last three years my wife and I have sponsored our new local symphony at the second highest sponsorship level. Not bragging, she has been active in the organization and its what we wanted to do. And it has been a pleasure to be able to do so.

But that would have indeed paid for some nice audio equipment.

Sadly, the response to COVID may have killed our new three year old symphony. No performances in a year. No ticket money coming in. Sponsorships understandably drying up. I don't know how those musicians are staying afloat. Currently no performances planned and we live in a state that has not had mandatory shut downs since the spring.

Music venues in the region have been shuttered for about a year as well.

No matter where you fall on the politics and/or science of COVID, it is decimating the working musician and venue owners.
n80 - thank you from us all. And yes, what a blow Covid is.
Our local youth orchestra gave my daughter one of her passions (sax) and her friend her career (she went on to the Royal Academy to study flute) and another her entry into the armed forces as a musician. I hope so much it reopens after all this.
Sejodiren. I sure tried. I “attempted” to play the trombone in the 5th grade. My band instructor pulled me aside and said a musical instrument may not be for everyone. I’m scarred to this day.
Great ‘

I remember listening to a lot of rock, 60’s - 80’s.

Singers sang had harmony, people played instruments,

now, it’s all computer tripe, auto tune, singers do not sing anymore.

Dio, Delp, Marriott, and tons of others.

I miss actual music bands, not these lip syncing, cd play music, for the fans. Cant stand it