My hearing deficits are becoming clear...

Gents,
I am a life-long audiophile with a nice system which I enjoy immensely.  For years I have had problems comprehending conversations in lively rooms with lots of folks speaking at once, but it has not diminished one iota my enjoyment of my audio system.  However, today, in a room with 5 guys talking over a football game on the TV, I was just flummoxed trying to understand what the heck anyone was saying.  The aural dissonance just drove me nuts so I departed, realizing that I need to address his deficit.

I reach out to my friends on this forum for recommendations for hearing aids for an audiophile like myself.  I prefer tube amplification in my system, but I don't suppose that is possible with hearing aids.  I'd look silly walking down the street with a 12AX7 tube sticking out of each ear, right?  Any input would be much appreciated.   Mark in Sacramento
whitestix
I have hearing loss, especially in high-frequencies, and have worn behind-the-ear hearing aids for the past 20 years or so; also hissy tinnitus. Currently I'm using Oticon hearing aids, but any good manufacturer should have something that would meet your needs. My problem is I can't use those when listening on headphones - the mic is in the wrong place - so I have to take them off them. I'm looking into an ear canal 'hearing amp' where the mic would be by the ear opening. If I don't have a feedback problem, that should be a big improvement....
The brand most used by classical musicians is Widex Evoke - they are pricy but have a special music setting that is not visible by default but your audiologist can unlock it for you. They are particularly good if you also have an iPhone since a lot more controls become available from your cellphone.  I have been using them for a couple of years now.
I've had the top-model over-the-ear oticon's for a year.  The before and after with music is like taking off a shirt draped over my speakers.  More detail, more clarity,...  Of course, you lose the opportunity to offer "sorry, I didn't hear you" as an excuse...  I had one problem.  I have dry skin, and in the past several years my ears have become itchy.  Hearing aids don't help that.  Perhaps I rubbed my ears too much with the aids in, but I ended up with a mold infection in my right outer ear.  I was in Vienna when I finally went to a doctor, who said I had a Pilz - a mushroom, in my ear.  Three otolaryngologists in two countries and four months to get rid of a sequence of such infections, and three months not wearing my  hearing aids.  The otolaryngologists all agreed that one can wear hearing aids too much, which is the opposite of what my audiologist said.  Now I put a touch of baby oil at the opening of the ear every night, and rinse my ears mornings in the shower:  The itching has abated (but not disappeared), I'm comfortably wearing my hearing aids, and enjoying the music.
@whitestix

I’ve recently acquired the Resound (well reviewed by CR) behind the ear hearing aids with the receiver in the ear. They are very good all things considered. The audiologist made a program for TV and another for Music.

The aids only go up to 8KHz, as do most. There is compression at the high frequencies. She has removed all of the compression she can but she says there is still some. It is hard to discern with and without on music, but like you I can hear music fine.

My loss is somewhat symmetrical in both ears, with the left being worse than the right. Since most of the loss is at the high end I thought that the aids would "even" my ears frequency response in the aids range, but as I said it’s hard to tell. But, what is amazing is the the very high frequencies, above 8KHz still can be heard and the very low when present can be heard, yet we know it is impossible for them to reproduce the low bass tones as well as high frequencies.

I did see a website touting "audiophile" hearing aids. They claimed 20-20KHz. They were cheap. I tried a different kind of cheap aids and while they did make some improvements in my hearing, they did not compare with what I have now.

There is a cool hearing program for the iPhone that I tried. You self test, it has a half dozen programs, and the iPhone is the device. It is full spectrum. The program is about $20-25 a month, so it can get pricey, but it may be good for some. I wasn’t satisfied because it really does take a professional to know what to adjust and how much.

So, my recommendation is to see your audiologist and get fitted for the aids that suite your life style and budget. Use them for a while just for standard conversation and get used to them. Your brain has some re-programming to do. Then work with the audiologist to add programs for whatever you want. The aids usually have at least three programs. Don’t expect instant success. It’s another high-end audio device that needs tweaking just like setting up your speakers. I’ve had mine for a couple of months and we are at the point where I can use them where I need them and don’t even realize they are in. I hope I remember to take them out before I shower. :)

Once you’ve got them you’ll be much happier. And believe me it does improve your outlook and attitude. Before I got them I would have jumped on MC for his dumb ass comments instead I’m giving you the scoop and ignoring him. A great recommendation right there. :)
And I like that they may stave off dementia.
I recently purchase a pair of Class A tube hearing aids so as not to loose any of the music I value so much.